Join for free
Page 247 of 370 « First < 147 197 237 245 246 247 248 249 257 297 347 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 09:35 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Runnings been going well although this mornings run was quite testing after the temperature dropped to minus 4*C overnight. I took this photo after I noticed that Ice had formed on the hairs on my legs, but by the time I retrieved the camera the heat in my legs had turned the icicles back to water......

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 10:35 PM

Hi Bob, great to see you back again
Looking very dapper there in your trackie + shorts bud. You're a braver man than I and I train inside
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 12:00 PM

Thanks Floydy, I've got used to it now.....
A thin covering of snow and zero degrees centigrade as I left the warmth of the house this morning. It is beginning to get light now at around 7:00am and despite the snow traction was good, so I had a decent run for the first four miles, but I started failing on the lane and had to grit my teeth to make it to the finish. There is always a little bit extra in the tank....A bit slower than yesterday, but still very enjoyable, and within just a few minutes of stopping the runner's high kicks in and it's 'Top of the World' time....

That's nice running Cedronella, how are you managing with the snow? If you've had any. And how far are you running each day? I've always run every other day and gone long.....But as I'm getting older I fancy running shorter and more often. I've been sticking an extra five miles in on a Friday and it seems to be working well, sometimes I wonder if the day off in between runs might allow stiffness to set in...

Good to see you working out Bratti, I would imagine runners have a hard time there at this time of year. Although I don't do any gym work I still like to read about your workouts, and Floydy's punishing sessions....

Stairs are good Surfermom, I get so excited when I'm out and see a 'Stairway to Heaven' I just can't resist the urge to run up them...Friends think I'm mad, but as you know, it's top of the range training....Best wishes to your Daughter...xxx

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 03:43 PM

1.1 miles in 20 minutes without stopping, walking around the roads and not out of breathe too much either. May not look like much but a huge difference from when I started this walking. before I had to rub in Votarol due to leg and hip pain, now doing it without using it, also had to keep stopping and getting well out of breath.

This is getting ready for the japan trip in a few weeks time. Even Sue is beginning to notice the improvement
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
1.1 miles in 20 minutes without stopping, walking around the roads and not out of breathe too much either. May not look like much but a huge difference from when I started this walking. before I had to rub in Votarol due to leg and hip pain, now doing it without using it, also had to keep stopping and getting well out of breath.

This is getting ready for the japan trip in a few weeks time. Even Sue is beginning to notice the improvement
Well done on this, Realspeed, you're living up to your name now!!
I've always said, it's being active that stops aches and pains. Rest is essential but we all need to keep ourselves as fit and healthy as possible and that begins with exercise more than it does having a perfect diet.
Have a great trip to Japan. You'll be climbing Mount Fuji before you know it!
(I don't throw that bouncing smiley in lightly but you deserve one buddy!)
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-02-2019, 04:43 PM

I'm toying with the idea of going to the gym in a minute as I haven't been out today at all yet. Thing is, I'm very much up to speed with my training and I should have a rest....should I stay or should I go?!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 05:45 PM

Looking forward to the gym tomorrow, and quite surprised to see muscles developing even after a few weeks. I wasn't expecting that! My t-shirts are getting a bit snug around the chest and upper arms, which is nice.

I had a go on doing the shoulder press - I was warned this is sometimes not recommended for people who have had a heart attack, plus I found out my shoulders are stiff anyway - and can manage around 15 kg with about 2 or 3 reps of 10 before stiffness gets a bit much. That's better than when I first started a week ago though. Oddly, pull-downs are no problem. I'll keep it as part of the routine now, and I'm starting to enjoy the pec deck now the overall stiffness is easing up. I'm up to 30 kg on that, and when I first went on it the stiffness was so bad I could hardly get the initial move going. Strangely, once I get past the initial movement I have no problem with the weight, and it gets easier every time now.

I still neglect the leg work because I am wary of making the excruciating pains come back in my knees. Silly really, but I at least try some every visit and have not caused any harm yet, so once I get some confidence I shall introduce more leg work each week.

Keep up the good work, lads and lasses!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-02-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Looking forward to the gym tomorrow, and quite surprised to see muscles developing even after a few weeks. I wasn't expecting that! My t-shirts are getting a bit snug around the chest and upper arms, which is nice.

I had a go on doing the shoulder press - I was warned this is sometimes not recommended for people who have had a heart attack, plus I found out my shoulders are stiff anyway - and can manage around 15 kg with about 2 or 3 reps of 10 before stiffness gets a bit much. That's better than when I first started a week ago though. Oddly, pull-downs are no problem. I'll keep it as part of the routine now, and I'm starting to enjoy the pec deck now the overall stiffness is easing up. I'm up to 30 kg on that, and when I first went on it the stiffness was so bad I could hardly get the initial move going. Strangely, once I get past the initial movement I have no problem with the weight, and it gets easier every time now.

I still neglect the leg work because I am wary of making the excruciating pains come back in my knees. Silly really, but I at least try some every visit and have not caused any harm yet, so once I get some confidence I shall introduce more leg work each week.

Keep up the good work, lads and lasses!
Tachyon, this is fabulous
You will see a big difference very quickly if you train correctly and cautiously, which you appear to be doing. I mentioned before that the shoulders are a very tricky exercise to perform. Your technique must be right, but if it is and you don't overload the poundage, you will see improvements there just as with the rest of your body

The knees are a worrying issue. I remember when you first came into this thread and explained about your long-term knee issues. You still need to do some kind of exercise though to keep them active; it's far more sensible to train the legs as well as the body body, even if it's only with some very light weights. I would say to you to perhaps leave out the leg extension machine but use the sled press (do not use the incline press as that may be too heavy). Also, there is the hamstring reverse curl machine and/or the prone version whereby you lay flat on your stomach and pull up the legs from behind you. Avoid squats too though.
Good luck bud, and remember - don't go too heavy too soon and you'll be sorted!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-02-2019, 08:10 PM

Friday 1/2/19: “100-reppers” (40-30-20-10) 1hr.10mins.
4 sets, same weight each set.
(All weights in kgs)

Intended as a rest day but having that feeling of climbing up the walls I thought I could probably rustle up some kind of session at the gym which didn’t tax my body too much. After all, rest days are there for a purpose; to enable the muscles to recover adequately without being pummelled to death by a further excessive, maniacal workout.
Looking at my programme of events I decided on some light weights which shouldn’t tax me too much, so I went with my “40-30-20-10” routine of light fixed weight over four decreasing sets. You know the score, I’ve done these before but it’s easier said than done and by the end of each exercise you sure know those muscles have been slaughtered. Even so, I felt much more alert and refreshed than when I was sat at home idly posting on here, so it can’t be bad.

Chest press:
40x30, 30x30, 20x30, 10x30
*Upping this weight to 35kg next time. If I’m still not feeling too much strain after the final set there needs to be more weight added.

Single DB raise, flat bench:
40x42, 30x42, 20x42, 10x42
*I was going to lift the 40kg dumbbell but it was in use, so I pushed myself a little harder with the 42. All felt okay and I’ll keep the 42 lift for next time too.

Seated row:
40x29, 30x29, 20x29, 10x29

Pec dec:
*Increase to 35kg next time.

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:

Arm curl (machine), both arms simultaneously:
40x20, 30x20, 20x20, 10x20

Smith machine flat bench press:
40x22.5, 30x22.5, 20x22.5, 10x22.5

E-Z bar preacher curl, close-grip:
40x18, 30x18, 20x18, 10x18

Tricep extensions:

Sled leg press (additional exercise):
40x130, 30x130, 20x130, 10x130
*There seems to be no limit to my leg power at the moment. The thighs are very defined and keep needing more weight each time I train. So this one will add another 10kgs next time.

With those increases planned for next time I do this routine, I’m definitely getting stronger again, not only that but I’m feeling so much fitter. Whether that has something to do with my chest cough and ear issues subsiding a little I don’t know, but I am lifting more and finding my stamina going through the roof. Looks wise, i.e. body shape (not my face – that’s not too pretty anymore!), the bulk is subsiding in place of some finely-honed sinewy ligaments featuring harder, more defined muscle, which to be honest goes against the grain of somebody who is supposed to be ageing! Love it.

Thanks for reading.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 11:05 PM

You would not believe looking at me now I was 100 yard sprint champion out of 11 colleges . Record for my age was 11.2 seconds and I did untrained in 9.6 seconds. Age around 13 at the time

Page 247 of 370 « First < 147 197 237 245 246 247 248 249 257 297 347 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top