Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 04:56 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I take me hat off to you Spitty, what a professional job!, wonderful piece of work, a little attic an all, plenty of space up there. Dear old Gumbud and young Pug would be ever so proud of you.
Long and well may you sit in it cooking the books.
Speaking of cooking, don’t forget to get yourself a good walkie talkie set so you can have the wife take out your meals and drinks, I got a great pair of w/talkies from China for 25 euro, have them 5 years now and they still work like new, they work up to 4miles so I can catch her at the shops if I need some fags and a few more bottles of cold Guinness.:
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 11:54 PM

Well done, Spitty, a lot of hard work there!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 09:15 AM

Time for the tree then!

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 09:15 PM

Interesting collection of bodies in that Dollar Shave Club video Solo, some brave lads there, very dangerous using a razor on the under carriage without a rear view mirror, I’d never risk it, but then I don’t have to, I haven’t got a hairy body thank God.

I have never liked telephones, ever since I was a kid and that first time had to go down to the phone box at the end of the street to ring an ambulance when my Dad took bad, (he had TB for years) the receiver was pulled from the cradle and lay on the filthy floor of the phone box. I came outside and sat on the kerb crying not knowing what to do, my mother was also sick in bed with rheumatic fever, then an old woman took my hand and raised me up from the path, I told her my trouble and she took me to her house on the next street where she had a phone and she called the ambulance, I’ll never forget that kind lady as long as I live.
I know it’s perfectly natural for most folks but I was never able to hold a natural conversation over a phone, I get frustrated and nervous and can never settle into a conversation.
When the phone rings in our house I let it ring because it’s never for me anyway, always the wife’s family and they’d keep you talking hogwash all day long, impossible to get off the phone. all the business contacts I have know my work email so no need for a phone for that.

Oh how I hate the Phone, it never leaves you alone
When you sit on the Jacks, the phone always attacks
Making one rise from the throne
We’re all slaves to the old hambone.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 02:15 PM

It's those small acts of kindness shown by your lady that stay with us over the years.

Never minded phones when younger as they were only used in emergencies so they were comforting to have around but once they became part of my working life I grew to loath the control they had. Being on standby meant if you wanted an honest life you answered the darn thing even if it meant wrecked plans. Ignoring it on any pretence meant your day was ruined anyway from guilt.

This has nothing to do with age but I now blatantly ignore any call that I am not expecting and mobiles hold even less interest for me as having had phones control my life for so long time I am now watching just how that phone control usage is being misused in a way we could never have dreamed of....plus not being nosy is an advantage.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Time for the tree then!

There are a lot of Noggins in that photo.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 06:45 AM

I think evolution has happened in one relative lifetime, I for one can remember being a Lounge "Lizard".
solo
UK

30-08-2019, 03:13 PM

Terry Thomas was the ultimate Lounge Lizard or rather lecherous wretch.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

30-08-2019, 04:52 PM

Lounge Lizard indeed, long time since I heard that expression Spitty, back then every lounge had a lizard and many’s the innocent lassie found to their cost that some of the Lizards turned out to be Rats.
I always liked Terry Thomas, he could play the sleeveen to perfection.

Well I heard a good one today, of all the odd things to lend a person.
One of the wife’s many sisters is going to a wedding on Monday, she’s a bit Mutt and Jeff and is waiting to see her doctor about getting a hearing aid, well the wife already has a hearing aid so she offered her sister a loan of hers for the day so she won’t be embarrassed when she can’t hear what the other guests are talking about, besides (according to herself) it will help her sister get used to them in her ears, the wife has a spare aid by the way, no doubt to ensure she doesn’t miss out on any gossip when she’s at the shops.
I think that’s funny and I laughed when she told me, she asked what was funny about that and I said nothing was funny, in fact it is a very noble gesture my dear, I’m only laughing because it’s a wonder you didn’t charge her for use of same.
Although on reflection it’s not so odd, I once saw Clark Gable say to his leading lady when she started to cry “Here my dear take my handkerchief” Snots and snails and puppy dogs tails spring to mind, male hankies ugh!
Who remembers the days before tissues? we all had a handkerchief to carry around and I can still hear my dear old Mother call out to me as a boy “Jimmy have you got your hankie with you?” as I left for school.

Here's a charming little photograph I came across, three very young musicians and a politician.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-08-2019, 10:08 PM

They look so infantile from the neck down but, so aged from the neck up, that look can extend into later life.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top