Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 08:52 PM

Low carb diet recipes?

Right,

I'm getting a bit of a tummy which I really don't like.
So, I've decided to go on a low carb diet.
Anyone else on one, or have any tasty recipes?

I'm having cauli cheese tonight. Browning in the oven right now.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 09:01 PM

Re: Low carb diet recipes?

From what I understand is that you don't need to go carb free ( id starve) just change the carbs you do it

So you fancy chips? Sweet potatoes

Mash? Any root veg

etc

The cars to avoid are the beige ones - rice and pasta for example
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 09:17 PM

I'm really into making my own soups and there are some gorgeous tasty ones here that I have made.

https://www.lowcarblab.com/best-low-carb-soup-recipes/

Mind you, the weather isn't perhaps soup weather.

Turkey meatballs with celeriac mash and asparagus
Spinach & feta salad with lamb chops
Chicken stuffed with garlic and herb light philadelphia wrapped in bacon, with couscous or quinoa (Marks and Spencer do a fab quinoa made up with roasted veggies)

Just a couple for you to perhaps try?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Right, I'm getting a bit of a tummy which I really don't like. So, I've decided to go on a low carb diet.
Wasting your time Fender. A diet (of any kind) won't magically solve your problem and will in most cases see you put more weight on in the long run.

Your body put the weight on itself as a result of the fuel you put into it and the way in which you provided it. It was the wrong fuel, like putting milk into your car, results inevitable.

Just eat good food. Don't restrict yourself, don't engage in any temporary eating regime. Just eat good food. The body will then re-adjust naturally.

First thing to so is cut out sugar if you haven't already. If you haven't cut out sugar then any diet you undertake is an utter waste of time. Getting sugar out of your diet is THE No 1 priority for restoring health.

So, no sugar in tea/coffee. No fizzy drinks. Select all supermarket foods with great care looking at the sugar content on the labels.

Avoid fruit juices, they have astonishing amounts of sugar. A 1lt carton of apple juice contains 21 teaspoons of sugar !
None of them have any decent levels of fibre so the sugars get stored as fat straight away.

99% of available breakfast cereals are laden with sugar, even those that claim to be healthy. About the only ones to go for are 100% shredded wheat and porridge. Most of the "Bran" cereals (All Bran, Bran Flakes) are also loaded with sugars.

Avoid silly little yoghurt pots that claim to be healthy. Actimel and Yakult pots contain 2-3 teaspoons of sugar each which is horrendous for such a small portion of product.

The odd cake is ok to have. You know it's sugary and can therefore control when you have one. It's the sugars hidden in everything else that build up to a ridiculous amount and lead to hunger pangs which make you eat more than your body needs.

So, sugar out, lots of good fresh veg in, meat with good provenance and a few carbs are ok.

Your body will rebalance naturally over time

ATB
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 09:42 AM

Asparagus quiche.

250g Asparagus trimmed
6 eggs whisked
175g grated cheddar

Preheat oven to 180oC

Cook the asparagus in water for a few minutes until tender, drain, then place in the bottom of a quiche dish or flatish round oven dish.

Sprinkle half the cheese on top of the asparagus.

Pour the whisked eggs evenly over the top and add salt/ pepper as required.

Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.

Bake for 25 - 30 mins or until set, risen and slightly brown.

I have made this many times and it is very nice. Obviously you can change the asparagus for another vegetable if you wish, I have also made it with broccoli.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 11:33 AM

Hi

I have been on Steroids for sometime now, as well as others which increase appetite.

I have a complete change of Medication, some commonsense at last.

I need to lose weight quickly for surgery, it is a crash diet, but supervised.

Once I have lost it, back to healthy eating to maintain my weight.

My weight gain has been a side effect of medication, thankfully I am no longer on the same medication.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 11:47 AM

Years ago I would have agreed with Realist and stated that any type of diet won’t work but now I tend to disagree. Low carb diets DO tend to work and the easiest type of diet to go on to lose weight that’s also low carb is called a Paleo diet. The great news is that if you look up Paleo diet you will find all kinds of delicious recipes and information about it and you will definitely lose weight going on it. I lost an incredible amount of weight going Paleo and the food is VERY tasty. You won’t ever feel hungry. It’s actually quite surprising. You’ll also get much more energy .
Good luck.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 12:30 PM

Hi

My Crash Diet is boring.

Microwaved or steamed Chicken Breasts and Fish and vegetables.

It does work however.

The dietitians have made it perfectly clear that this is a one off.

Once finished, back to healthy eating.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Asparagus quiche.

250g Asparagus trimmed
6 eggs whisked
175g grated cheddar
Forgive me Longdogs but what you have described there is surely an Apsparagus Omelete not a quiche.

There surely needs to be a pastry flan/tart casing for it to be a quiche.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top