Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 06:07 PM

Re: New Zealand volcano: At least five dead after White Island eruption

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
How awful - but - why, oh, why were they still allowed to go there after warnings of an imminent eruption? Madness.
Money, There's your answer STabby..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 06:09 PM

What a tragedy, why were the tourists allowed there when there had been warnings about an eruption?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 06:44 PM

Poor people... actually I really question the safety of volcano tourism generally... I was at Mount Etna on Sicily earlier this year, whilst we were there we heard a massive underground explosion and the earth shook. I asked at a local restaurant about it and was told it happens all the time.... surely that cannot be right? Amazingly new houses are being built on old lava flows too its like the locals are oblivious to the danger ... I suppose though as someone else said money is king and places like Sicily depend so heavily on Tourism.

We also sailed by Stromboli at night.... the sky was lit up and you could see flames jumping high into the sky.... Stromboli has three active volcano's no way would I set foot on that island
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 08:27 PM

It is so heartbreaking. I just want to cry. Those poor people just enjoying their holiday or cruise.
Just before Christmas too.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 09:20 PM

White Island has been a popular destination for tourists and locals for over 30 years. It is a continually active volcano the warning levels go up and down frequently . There was , despite a rise of one level little change to warrant closing the tours. The chances of being caught in an eruption were probably about the same as being struck by lightening. I would happily take that chance. Two of the people killed were tour operators.
Back in the 1930's there was a sulphur mining business set up but a sudden eruption killed 10 workers whose bodies were never found.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
White Island has been a popular destination for tourists and locals for over 30 years. It is a continually active volcano the warning levels go up and down frequently . There was , despite a rise of one level little change to warrant closing the tours. The chances of being caught in an eruption were probably about the same as being struck by lightening. I would happily take that chance. Two of the people killed were tour operators.
Back in the 1930's there was a sulphur mining business set up but a sudden eruption killed 10 workers whose bodies were never found.
Mining has always been a risky business. And not just for the miners. Anyone remember Aberfan?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Mining has always been a risky business.
So is volcano tourism as has been seen. How many people who want to visit a volcano are not aware of the facts? Surely they know there are risks? Sadly, this was one risk too far!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Yep Ciderman, had I visited that part of the world, visiting a volcano would have been compulsory for me whatever the risk.....I'm sorry for the people who were injured or lost their lives, but excitement and adrenaline sometimes involves risk. What would life be without the occasional risk?
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 10:38 PM

Couldn't agree more OGF.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:16 PM

I would never go and visit an active volcano .
( even a dormant one is suspicious ) I don’t care how rare it is you won’t catch me there .

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top