Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 12:47 PM

Mother and daughters told 'too big' for business class

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51276016

Enjoying the luxury of business class seats on an 11-hour flight back to Auckland was meant to be a treat for Renell and Tere after undergoing weight-loss surgery in the city of Bangkok.

Instead, the sisters and their mother, Huhana, were left ''traumatised'' by Thai Airways staff who came at them with tape measures telling them they were ''too big'' for their business class seats.

Six months on from that ''disgusting'' experience and Huhana, 59, is still bitter about the experience.

''The staff were shouting 'too big, too big' at us repeatedly. Rows of people watched as they measured us at the check-in. It was so humiliating the way we were treated that I just broke down in tears,'' said Huhana.

The language barrier didn't help as staff refused to let them enter the business class section and made them sit in economy class.
Far be it from me to be judgemental but the ladies do appear to be a pound or two overweight ….. didn't the surgery work …..
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 01:07 PM

Re: Mother and daughters told 'too big' for business class

Hold baggage.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 01:39 PM

I just wonder how, if they couldn't fit in a business class seat, how on earth they managed to fit in an economy one?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 01:52 PM

How humiliating. I get that they are well overweight but it would have been kinder to get them on one side to tell them instead of letting everyone else hear. I would have been mortified.

They are just beginning their weight loss journey after having surgery, good luck to them at least they are trying to do something about their weight.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 01:59 PM

I agree it was humiliating LQ, it and it really should be made clear when booking whether size is an issue. On some airlines two seats have to be purchased if the passenger is over a certain size, but at least it is made clear to the customer from the outset.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I agree it was humiliating LQ, it and it really should be made clear when booking whether size is an issue. On some airlines two seats have to be purchased if the passenger is over a certain size, but at least it is made clear to the customer from the outset.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51276016

When it comes to oversized passengers, it's up to the discretion of each airline how to manage the situation, a spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said.

Most airlines recommend that if you think you will be too big for your seat, you should buy a second seat at the time you make your booking. But few airlines have specific guidelines when it comes the definition of ''oversized''.

When contacted by the BBC, a spokesman for Thai Airways said it now has better warnings in place on its reservations system so agents are made aware of such issues.
So, the issue is really between the passenger and the reservation agent …..
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I just wonder how, if they couldn't fit in a business class seat, how on earth they managed to fit in an economy one?
Thai have incorporated air bags into seat belts in business class seats on the Boeing 787. If people are too fat they obstruct the air bags deploying. Cattle class - no air bags in seat belts.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
How humiliating. I get that they are well overweight but it would have been kinder to get them on one side to tell them instead of letting everyone else hear. I would have been mortified.

They are just beginning their weight loss journey after having surgery, good luck to them at least they are trying to do something about their weight.
Well said!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 03:57 PM

Well I know you'll all jump one me for saying this but ..... if I looked like that I'd stay indoors.
So where did they end up sitting?

Edited to add: Just re-read the article. Economy class.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Well I know you'll all jump one me for saying this but ..... if I looked like that I'd stay indoors.
Agreed Morticia .
Having had to endure a flight ,with a seriously obese young woman sitting next to me whose arm and leg was constantly pressed up against mine I don’t ever want that experience again and so feel sympathy for anyone who had any of those women seated next to them .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top