Join for free
Page 17 of 17 « First < 7 15 16 17
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 10:13 PM

Re: Climate change and OFGEN plan

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Bees are no the only pollinators by any means but the shocking effects of horrendous agrochemicals are seriously harming the food chain.

As for hybrid cars being serious polluters this is especially so because of the weight and electric vehicles are the BEST form of vehicle in a traffic jam.
So people have gone out to buy a very expensive hybrid thinking they are environmentally friendly and then find that they are the worst polluters. This is typical of the mixed messages being received. An Uber driver told me that electric cars are prone to spontaneously exploding and I've read that after 7 years or so the batteries need replacing causing another massive environmental problem.

it is ironic though that the end of the world could be caused by peace rather than war.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by annies ->
so people have gone out to buy a very expensive hybrid thinking they are environmentally friendly and then find that they are the worst polluters. This is typical of the mixed messages being received. An uber driver told me that electric cars are prone to spontaneously exploding and i've read that after 7 years or so the batteries need replacing causing another massive environmental problem.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So people have gone out to buy a very expensive hybrid thinking they are environmentally friendly and then find that they are the worst polluters. This is typical of the mixed messages being received. An Uber driver told me that electric cars are prone to spontaneously exploding and I've read that after 7 years or so the batteries need replacing causing another massive environmental problem.

it is ironic though that the end of the world could be caused by peace rather than war.
Did you see the article about 'Lithium' Annie ?

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lith...ronment-impact
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

The more we find out the less we know OGF!
I learnt a lot from that article, hope l can remember it?
Donkeyman!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

Thanks OGF that is appalling and just as I suspected. This sort of article isn't picked up the mainstream press. But I recall a discussion on the radio that car batteries would have to be replaced every five to seven years if not sooner. The environmental cost of all these batteries has not been thought through.

I was thinking of buying a hybrid a while back but I definitely won't now. Headless chickens come to mind.

Instead of trying to force everyone into electric cars they should simply stop production of cards that are over the ultra low emissions targets. No member of the public desperately needs a 4x4 or jaguar and when these vehicles were developed the environment was not under the pressure it is today. Electric technology should be limited to public vehicles and trade until they sort themselves out.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

08-02-2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The more we find out the less we know OGF!
I learnt a lot from that article, hope l can remember it?
Donkeyman!
This might be a good memory trigger :

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 01:54 PM

I was thinking of buying a hybrid a while back but I definitely won't now. Headless chickens come to mind.

Instead of trying to force everyone into electric cars they should simply stop production of cards that are over the ultra low emissions targets. No member of the public desperately needs a 4x4 or jaguar and when these vehicles were developed the environment was not under the pressure it is today. Electric technology should be limited to public vehicles and trade until they sort themselves out.
I totally agree …..

SUVs, in particular, should be banned …..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 05:21 PM

Thanks OGF that is appalling and just as I suspected. This sort of article isn't picked up the mainstream press. But I recall a discussion on the radio that car batteries would have to be replaced every five to seven years if not sooner. The environmental cost of all these batteries has not been thought through.

Instead of trying to force everyone into electric cars they should simply stop production of cars that are over the ultra low emissions targets. No member of the public desperately needs a 4x4 or jaguar and when these vehicles were developed the environment was not under the pressure it is today. Electric technology should be limited to public vehicles and trade until they sort themselves out.
I agree Annie.
It's the chicken and egg syndrome trying to stop the general public from buying what's on the market is just daft. It's the same as Greta getting her knickers in a twist about our lifestyles. If governments were really serious they would remove the bad stuff off the market and then we couldn't buy the most polluting vehicles, but they won't will they, until they've got an alternative method of raising tax.

Either way, which ever mode of mechanical or electrical transport you use there will always be some pressure on the planet to supply materials and/or fuel.

Page 17 of 17 « First < 7 15 16 17

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top