Join for free
Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 12:37 PM

Re: Climate change and OFGEN plan

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
They’re only plans, obviously another idea not thought through
What about the boiler manufacturers? Not just domestic but commercial as well, what do they make instead of gas boilers?, heat pumps, ?ok if they run an assembly line alongside their gas boiler line, but imagine the cost of all the re tooling, and re training, plus all the heating and gas engineers,what will happen to their jobs when they aren’t doing gas servicing/repairs/ installation? it may well be coming but it will have to be gradually phased in, it will take decades
Climate Activists care not for employment Primus, and even if this half baked idea does get off the ground, we all know where the new stuff will be manufactured. And it certainly won't be in the UK...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Foxy, been asking this question for the last decade at least.
There seems to be such panic going on Spitty, I can't believe the government are doing something for the good of the people and not financial gain....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
They’re only plans, obviously another idea not thought through
What about the boiler manufacturers? Not just domestic but commercial as well, what do they make instead of gas boilers?, heat pumps, ?ok if they run an assembly line alongside their gas boiler line, but imagine the cost of all the re tooling, and re training, plus all the heating and gas engineers,what will happen to their jobs when they aren’t doing gas servicing/repairs/ installation? it may well be coming but it will have to be gradually phased in, it will take decades
Hot water? Install a hot water cylinder with electric immersion heater. Sorted and in most cases not a big job.

What do gas boiler makers when no sales? Nothing. Or find another product and diversify or go out of business.

Decades? No need, in fact it MUST be done without any further delay. If people lose their jobs then sorry but tough.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
There seems to be such panic going on Spitty, I can't believe the government are doing something for the good of the people and not financial gain....
In this case I absolutely can. Anthropogenic global climate change is terribly real and MUST be addressed.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-02-2020, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It's got a ten year prediction.

I doubt if it is realistic to hit 100% coverage in that time but remember the conversion program to North Sea Gas?

Assuming that storage heaters were installed and little to no electrical changes were needed, they can be run from a 13 Amp outlet in most cases actually it could be done. Just.
And what about the people who can't afford all these changes Todger?
You and I are in a position where we can help the planet, but there are millions of people who's main concern is putting food on the table.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 12:44 PM

It's got a ten year prediction.

I doubt if it is realistic to hit 100% coverage in that time but remember the conversion program to North Sea Gas?

Assuming that storage heaters were installed and little to no electrical changes were needed, they can be run from a 13 Amp outlet in most cases actually it could be done. Just.
Well, if I have another 10 years which I doubt, not in my life time then.
We have gas warm air vents, no radiators anywhere, just holes in the walls low down. It would take some doing in my house anyway & who would pay for it, not me on a pension.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=The Artful Todger;1851628]Hot water? Install a hot water cylinder with electric immersion heater. Sorted and in most cases not a big job.

Not in a domestic setting, no..what about a large hotel, hospital, nursing home the cost would be enormous
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-02-2020, 12:45 PM

Hot water? Install a hot water cylinder with electric immersion heater. Sorted and in most cases not a big job.

What do gas boiler makers when no sales? Nothing. Or find another product and diversify or go out of business.

Decades? No need, in fact it MUST be done without any further delay. If people lose their jobs then sorry but tough.
You will be creating a nation in poverty Todger.
Over the last twenty years just about everybody has just had their copper hot water boilers ripped out in favour of a combi boiler. This is just madness, and I for one will protest.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

03-02-2020, 12:48 PM

Climate Activists care not for employment Primus, and even if this half baked idea does get off the ground, we all know where the new stuff will be manufactured. And it certainly won't be in the UK...
Actually it would not make financial sense to manufacture electric storage heaters any great distance from the point of use. The weight of the heat storage blocks and the low cost of materials results in the transport costs any great distance would make off-shore manufacturing very unprofitable indeed and probably a loss maker.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

03-02-2020, 12:50 PM

You will be creating a nation in poverty Todger.
Over the last twenty years just about everybody has just had their copper hot water boilers ripped out in favour of a combi boiler. This is just madness, and I for one will protest.
When it comes to environment Vs finance it's a no-brainer. Environment MUST come first and as that message increasingly sinks in to a rapidly increasing %age of the population it will.

As far as the provision of hot water is concerned cylinders would benefit from not being made from copper and instant heat showers, oversink heaters etc in many cases would do away with the need for a cylinder and be much more efficient when it comes to delivering hot water at the point of use.

This IS coming. It HAS to.

Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top