Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Free! As EU Heads to Ignominy & Beyond.

A very good article by the excellent Trevor Kavanagh in the Sun newspaper today.

’Fog in Channel. Continent Isolated.’’

The latest Times headline sums up the panic in EU capitals as Nigel Farage marched his flag-waving troops out of the European Parliament for the last time on Wednesday.
At that moment, a giant black hole replaced British MEPs who for almost half a century have lent Brussels at least the impression of democratic accountability.

Without us, without our constant nagging and especially without our £10Billion a year going into their busted kitty - the rachet of ever-closer union is about to strip its cogs.

What you see in the eyes of the new Commission and the EU’s ludicrous five presidents is sheer, unadulterated fear.

Until January 31 it was hard to say when the Grand Project and its misbegotten euro would finally disintegrate.
Now we can. The European Union will fall apart the moment Great Britain emerges clearly and distinctly on the world stage as a thriving, prosperous, sovereign trading nation.
It will be at that point - quite soon, I would guess - that other EU member states will say: ”We want what they’re having.”

French President Emmanuel Macron says Britain’s departure is "a historic warning sign which must be heard by all of Europe." But with suicidal certainty, his only solution is
"More Europe’’.
"I would be lying to you’’ says this tin-pot Napoleon ‘’If I said the future of our country lies in less Europe. Europe cannot move forward unless we reform to make it more sovereign, more democratic, closer to our fellow citizens, and simpler.’’

But the European Union can do none of those things. It is designed top-down to be anti-democratic, remote from the people and infuriatingly complicated.
The moment it gives its 400million increasingly resentful citizens a say, it is finished.
The EU is - along with the BBC, the Labour Party and Lib Dems - totally out of touch with the reality of life beyond its cushy, bubble-wrapped ivory towers.

The people of Europe, just like voters in the Midlands and North of England who deserted Britain’s metropolitan elite on December 12, know what’s going on.
They can see our thriving economy while theirs teeter on the brink.
They see we have near-full employment while their children risk being jobless for life. Italy, France and even Germany’s former powerhouse economy are in trouble.
Unless EU negotiators wake up, our departure with or without a deal will tip them over the edge.
It would have happened already if Greece had not been bullied out of Grexit.
By now that suffering nation would have been a prosperous tourist destination offering cheap but cheerful holidays in the sun.
Instead, the Athens leadership rolled over, a brutal example set by Germany and France to any other renegade state thinking about leaving.

It is too late for reform. The centre, as they say, cannot hold. When it goes, it will bring hardship for those unfortunate citizens who have been lied to in the pursuit of an ever-closer union - an inflexible totalitarian superstate.

For Brexiteers it has been a race to cut loose before the euro sinks - and sucks us down with it. Some might argue we wasted miserable years of non-military civil war under hapless Mrs May. But those years were not wasted. They gave us an invaluable opportunity to see for ourselves just how nasty and unscrupulous Remainers could be, with guttersnipe charges of racism and stupidity. December 12’s landslide election victory would have been impossible in 2016 without the ugly images of Grieve, Blair, Letwin, the BBC, the Supreme Court and meddling Gina Miller conniving with gargoyle Speaker Bercow to thwart the will of the British people.

The patience of a long-suffering nation snapped on election day.
They turned with high hopes to Boris Johnson’s Tories.
Boris will now deliver a clear and unequivocal Brexit - whatever obstacles are placed in his path.

The Sun is starting to shine, we have a breeze in our sails - and the fog in the Channel is beginning to clear.

UNQUOTE

So true, so true. Boris gave a great speech this morning. I do hope the EU was listening and took it in that he means business. We are out, and out means out. No good they back-peddling now on the Canadian style trade deal they were happy to go along with on signing the Withdrawal Agreement and which they now think they can put in additional demands.

Hello! This is Great Britain you are still pathetically trying unsuccessfully yet again to bully. The country that you were so confident of publicly humiliating, you were happy to have it shown to the world on a televised programme during the withdrawal negotiations, laughing among yourselves in your Commission office, as you referred to the UK as an ‘’EU Colony’’. Pity you didn’t think to take the time to get your heads out of your a....s and have that bit edited out, as it only made Brexiteers even more determined than ever to get the hell away from you.

Thank you for that wonderful free piece of propaganda.
Any more blinders like that and we will be forever grateful.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 02:31 PM

Re: Free! As EU Heads to Ignominy & Beyond.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
So true, so true. Boris gave a great speech this morning. I do hope the EU was listening and took it in that he means business. We are out, and out means out. No good they back-peddling now on the Canadian style trade deal they were happy to go along with on signing the Withdrawal Agreement and which they now think they can put in additional demands.
Dear lady, how many times did I advise you to do your own bit of research? From the political declaration signed along the WA, article 21:

However, with a view to facilitating the movement of goods across borders, the Parties envisage comprehensive arrangements that will create a free trade area, combining deep regulatory and customs cooperation, underpinned by provisions ensuring a level playing
field for open and fair competition, as s
et out in Section XIV of this Part. as set out in Section XIV of this Part.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 02:43 PM

Hi

I have never been a great fan of Fortune Tellers.

I simply do not believe that life will be a bed of roses and that the EU will disband.

Neither do I believe in Project Fear.

I am glad we are leaving, how financially successful we are is not ours to control.

We are hugely in debt and the International Money Markets will set our Interest Rates.

We can influence our future, we cannot control it.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 02:53 PM

A very good article by the excellent Trevor Kavanagh in the Sun newspaper today.

’Fog in Channel. Continent Isolated.’’

The latest Times headline sums up the panic in EU capitals as Nigel Farage marched his flag-waving troops out of the European Parliament for the last time on Wednesday.
At that moment, a giant black hole replaced British MEPs who for almost half a century have lent Brussels at least the impression of democratic accountability.

Without us, without our constant nagging and especially without our £10Billion a year going into their busted kitty - the rachet of ever-closer union is about to strip its cogs.

What you see in the eyes of the new Commission and the EU’s ludicrous five presidents is sheer, unadulterated fear.

Until January 31 it was hard to say when the Grand Project and its misbegotten euro would finally disintegrate.
Now we can. The European Union will fall apart the moment Great Britain emerges clearly and distinctly on the world stage as a thriving, prosperous, sovereign trading nation.
It will be at that point - quite soon, I would guess - that other EU member states will say: ”We want what they’re having.”

French President Emmanuel Macron says Britain’s departure is "a historic warning sign which must be heard by all of Europe." But with suicidal certainty, his only solution is
"More Europe’’.
"I would be lying to you’’ says this tin-pot Napoleon ‘’If I said the future of our country lies in less Europe. Europe cannot move forward unless we reform to make it more sovereign, more democratic, closer to our fellow citizens, and simpler.’’

But the European Union can do none of those things. It is designed top-down to be anti-democratic, remote from the people and infuriatingly complicated.
The moment it gives its 400million increasingly resentful citizens a say, it is finished.
The EU is - along with the BBC, the Labour Party and Lib Dems - totally out of touch with the reality of life beyond its cushy, bubble-wrapped ivory towers.

The people of Europe, just like voters in the Midlands and North of England who deserted Britain’s metropolitan elite on December 12, know what’s going on.
They can see our thriving economy while theirs teeter on the brink.
They see we have near-full employment while their children risk being jobless for life. Italy, France and even Germany’s former powerhouse economy are in trouble.
Unless EU negotiators wake up, our departure with or without a deal will tip them over the edge.
It would have happened already if Greece had not been bullied out of Grexit.
By now that suffering nation would have been a prosperous tourist destination offering cheap but cheerful holidays in the sun.
Instead, the Athens leadership rolled over, a brutal example set by Germany and France to any other renegade state thinking about leaving.

It is too late for reform. The centre, as they say, cannot hold. When it goes, it will bring hardship for those unfortunate citizens who have been lied to in the pursuit of an ever-closer union - an inflexible totalitarian superstate.

For Brexiteers it has been a race to cut loose before the euro sinks - and sucks us down with it. Some might argue we wasted miserable years of non-military civil war under hapless Mrs May. But those years were not wasted. They gave us an invaluable opportunity to see for ourselves just how nasty and unscrupulous Remainers could be, with guttersnipe charges of racism and stupidity. December 12’s landslide election victory would have been impossible in 2016 without the ugly images of Grieve, Blair, Letwin, the BBC, the Supreme Court and meddling Gina Miller conniving with gargoyle Speaker Bercow to thwart the will of the British people.

The patience of a long-suffering nation snapped on election day.
They turned with high hopes to Boris Johnson’s Tories.
Boris will now deliver a clear and unequivocal Brexit - whatever obstacles are placed in his path.

The Sun is starting to shine, we have a breeze in our sails - and the fog in the Channel is beginning to clear.

UNQUOTE

Hello! This is Great Britain you are still pathetically trying unsuccessfully yet again to bully. The country that you were so confident of publicly humiliating, you were happy to have it shown to the world on a televised programme during the withdrawal negotiations, laughing among yourselves in your Commission office, as you referred to the UK as an ‘’EU Colony’’. Pity you didn’t think to take the time to get your heads out of your a....s and have that bit edited out, as it only made Brexiteers even more determined than ever to get the hell away from you.

Thank you for that wonderful free piece of propaganda.
Any more blinders like that and we will be forever grateful.
I couldn't agree more, and Boris Johnsons speech was absolutely perfect today, a well thought out, tub-thumping barnstormer that will have had everyone cheering from the rooftops. I certainly enjoyed it, sat on the edge of the sofa listening to every word, looking for chinks in the armour, a glimmer of betrayal but thankfully, none of it was spoken, just the words we have been waiting to hear for nearly 4 years by our new Prime Minister backed up by his super majority, pro-Brexit Government.

The EU on the other hand suffered their first massive defeat on Friday. So far, EU referendums have always been overturned if they go the "wrong way" through another referendum with loaded questions.

Not this time - huge defeat for the EU and a massive victory for the UK.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 03:28 PM

Once again, SG, an excellent post as always.

I don't read the Sun, so had not seen this article, but I see a great deal of sense in it.

Naysayers will try to pour scorn on it, as they always do, but I have every confidence in our success in the long term.

At the same time as our progress happens, I believe that the EU will see increasing unrest among their members. Many Europeans were unhappy at being ruled by a central self-serving organisation, especially those countries like Greece which were feeling the pinch of the overriding Euro. It was already happening before we actually achieved Brexit and now that we have, other EU countries are realising that they too could do the same.

Not only some EU countries, but recently the news about Canada being annoyed at the dishonesty of the EU tends to confirm that the rest of the world is beginning to have their doubts too.

Time will tell, of course, but unlike the prophets of doom who are still trying to assure us of forthcoming disaster, I am confident that we are looking at a great future as an independent nation again.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 03:57 PM

Interesting how the EU now don't have much to go on really because we have not only put "no deal" back on the table, we have also said to the EU that if we can only have a Canada +++ style trade deal with regulatory alignment, then we aren't interested.

So far, so good
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
So far, so good
Which is not far, as the negotiations are to start on 3 march. Provided boris has come to a settlement with spain on gibraltar. If not, the EU won't even bother to sit at the negotiating table. Not far, not good.

It is not a matter of this week. It was predicted a year ago: https://theconversation.com/gibralta...ks-fate-111581
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 04:28 PM

Yes, Boris did us proud this morning. I too, was listening to anything that could prove there was a chink - but I didn't hear anything except fairness, friendliness and exactly how we intend to take back what is rightfully ours.
The emphasis on Great Britain once again making our own rules and what we want in the forthcoming trade talks, was especially welcome.
What a welcome change to just be able to say what we want instead of "Please may we have."

We in the UK are renowned as one of the fairest countries in the world when it comes to business and trade deals, and not always to our own advantage. So how dare the EU continue to lay down the law that as part of the trade deals, we must undertake to align with their rules and regulations (hello! we left on 31st January 2020 or have you forgotten already?) that any decisions must be overseen by the ECJ, (Of course we will be overseen by a machine operated by the EU), and a level playing field must be adhered to in all trading. (Shall we pretend that we leaving to make a success of our OWN economy was just a sweet dream?)

If Boris gives into even one of these EU pipedream demands, he will be toast. Hopefully, I don't believe he will. The sooner the EU Commission wakes up and smells the coffee, the better. They are making themselves look very bad in the eyes of the rest of the world with their underhand tactics. The headline Trade row with Canada only emphasises the fact.

How many times must they be told the UK is not setting out to belittle, humiliate or ruin the EU's economy. The truth is that it is the EU that has been holding us back for much of the 47 years we were with them. If we now proceed to flourish and become once again the successful economy we should always have been on our own, does anyone in their right mind believe that we are going to refuse to do so because the EU doesn't happen to like the idea of being left behind and not part of that success, and even more so, not being entitled to the usual large slice of it?

Time for the EU to grow up, get with their own programme and sort their own house out before it is too late. They no longer have any say over us. We are out. Read the words again that were printed on the White Cliffs of Dover at 11 pm on 31st January 2020.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 04:31 PM

I must admit that I had no confidence in Boris initially but he's really showing his mettle now, long may he carry on to get us the right deal 👍
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

03-02-2020, 04:34 PM

Yes, Boris did us proud this morning. I too, was listening to anything that could prove there was a chink - but I didn't hear anything except fairness, friendliness and exactly how we intend to take back what is rightfully ours.
The emphasis on Great Britain once again making our own rules and what we want in the forthcoming trade talks, was especially welcome.
What a welcome change to just be able to say what we want instead of "Please may we have."

We in the UK are renowned as one of the fairest countries in the world when it comes to business and trade deals, and not always to our own advantage. So how dare the EU continue to lay down the law that as part of the trade deals, we must undertake to align with their rules and regulations (hello! we left on 31st January 2020 or have you forgotten already?) that any decisions must be overseen by the ECJ, (Of course we will be overseen by a machine operated by the EU), and a level playing field must be adhered to in all trading. (Shall we pretend that we leaving to make a success of our OWN economy was just a sweet dream?)

If Boris gives into even one of these EU pipedream demands, he will be toast. Hopefully, I don't believe he will. The sooner the EU Commission wakes up and smells the coffee, the better. They are making themselves look very bad in the eyes of the rest of the world with their underhand tactics. The headline Trade row with Canada only emphasises the fact.

How many times must they be told the UK is not setting out to belittle, humiliate or ruin the EU's economy. The truth is that it is the EU that has been holding us back for 47 years. If we now proceed to flourish and become once again the successful economy we should always have been on our own, does anyone in their right mind believe that we are going to refuse to do so because the EU doesn't happen to like the idea of being left behind and not part of that success, and even more so, not being entitled to the usual large slice of it?

Time for the EU to grow up, get with their own programme and sort their own house out before it is too late. They no longer have any say over us. We are out. Read the words again that were printed on the White Cliffs of Dover at 11 pm on 31st January 2020.

It is very simple, allign, or no deal. Your choice.
Your own meps had a say in the goals the EU wants to achieve. They were still in parliament when the EU set out these targets. In march 2018. See here from article 5 onward https://www.consilium.europa.eu/medi...guidelines.pdf

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top