Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 12:13 PM

Re: Still Using W7?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
They have released an updated version of Win7, it's called Windows 10.
Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Bit rubbish though innit....
A lot of people have said this. Even my PC man when the free upgrade came on my PC said leave W7 on your PC. Why is W10 rubbish? If you buy a new tower etc don't you get W10 automatically with it now?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 12:58 PM

I've turned most of the singing and dancing stuff off windows 10 Tiff, I think microsoft should produce an operating system for the over fifties who just want to come on here or do a bit of shopping.
Us old'uns don't want all the bells and whistles that inevitably comes with anything new these days. I don't want to spend half a day figuring out what changed after the latest updates.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
They have released an updated version of Win7, it's called Windows 10.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 01:30 PM

I've turned most of the singing and dancing stuff off windows 10 Tiff, I think microsoft should produce an operating system for the over fifties who just want to come on here or do a bit of shopping.
Us old'uns don't want all the bells and whistles that inevitably comes with anything new these days. I don't want to spend half a day figuring out what changed after the latest updates.....
W7 changes stuff too, but I never know what they've done.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 02:35 PM

I had Windows 7 installed on my laptop computer until recently. I've since done a clean installation of Windows 10 version 1909 on it. Windows 7 is a good OS but the speed of boot up, program opening times and general performance is markedly faster with Windows 10 ..on that computer anyway.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I had Windows 7 installed on my laptop computer until recently. I've since done a clean installation of Windows 10 version 1909 on it. Windows 7 is a good OS but the speed of boot up, program opening times and general performance is markedly faster with Windows 10 ..on that computer anyway.
Yes I agree Mart, windows 10 loads very fast but I wasn't sure if it was the O/S or because I bought a new laptop which has a far bigger memory and faster speed CORE i5 processor than my old netbook running win7...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 06:41 PM

Yes I agree Mart, windows 10 loads very fast but I wasn't sure if it was the O/S or because I bought a new laptop which has a far bigger memory and faster speed CORE i5 processor than my old netbook running win7...
That could be about the same spec. as the laptop I had W.7 installed on. i5 processor with 8GB of RAM. In which case it could be that the W.10 OS itself is faster.

I installed W.7 on the computer so I could play a game that wouldn't run on W.10. In the end, I decided the reduced performance wasn't worth it just so that single game could be played.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 07:15 PM

Interesting.

I have an old laptop running W7.
Microsoft will not 'update' it to W10 because it claims it is an 'illegal' installation. It isn't. The laptop came with W7 pre-installed but, due to some problems some time ago, an 'expert' made some changes(?) to get it working again. I don't know what he did, but I've had no problems since except that a couple of buttons have now become unreliable. Perhaps that can be fixed, though.

Personally, I'm quite happy to use W7 in preference to W10, especially if it means I don't have to accept Windows Updates!

What, then, are the implications of W7 going 'open source'?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

14-02-2020, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Interesting.

I have an old laptop running W7.
Microsoft will not 'update' it to W10 because it claims it is an 'illegal' installation. It isn't. The laptop came with W7 pre-installed but, due to some problems some time ago, an 'expert' made some changes(?) to get it working again. I don't know what he did, but I've had no problems since except that a couple of buttons have now become unreliable. Perhaps that can be fixed, though.

Personally, I'm quite happy to use W7 in preference to W10, especially if it means I don't have to accept Windows Updates!

What, then, are the implications of W7 going 'open source'?
Did the repairer of the laptop significantly change the hardware inside the computer? If so, that might account for the 'illegal' message.

Going open source would likely mean no key number necessary, no activation needed, free to all (unless a donation is seen fit). It could also mean some changes or maintenance being done though. In other words 'updates'. A bit the same as other open source operating systems.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-02-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
That could be about the same spec. as the laptop I had W.7 installed on. i5 processor with 8GB of RAM. In which case it could be that the W.10 OS itself is faster.

I installed W.7 on the computer so I could play a game that wouldn't run on W.10. In the end, I decided the reduced performance wasn't worth it just so that single game could be played.
Same spec as mine Mart, the netbook running win 7 has a processor called 'Atom'? I think that might be the equivalent of a fiat 500 in the performance car range....

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top