Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 04:56 PM

The Bane of my Life! - THE SWEDE.

Hi everyone. Looked in the vegetable basket to see what I could use up for dinner this evening to go with Chicken Kievs. Want to use up any leftover before I go market shopping tomorrow for the week. I had two large carrots, 1 swede and four large red potatoes. Great, will have saute potatoes and carrot and swede mash.

Now I don’t know about you but the bane of my life is trying to cut through that damned Swede (or Rutabaga as some know it). I just don’t seem to have the strength in my arms to cut through it. I know that one should never attempt it when it is fresh as it is akin to cutting through concrete, but this little beggar is 5 days old and still so solid it could easily still kill you if I dropped it on your head!!

I even went on YouTube to see if there were any useful tips for making the job easier. One or two on there made my eyebrows raise as they looked rather perilous, such as the one where a chap cut a thick slice off the top, placed it back on, put it in a dish and whacked it into the microwave on full for exactly 15 minutes, then just scooped out the cooked flesh ready for mashing. Not for me! I had visions of a mighty explosion with swede over the ceiling.

I did however, come across a little gem that saves a bit of work when preparing a swede for mashing with the carrots. (video is below). So, after getting HWMO to cut off the one end of the swede and peel it before he went out of the door, it was left to me to try this method out, and it does actually work.

Because I haven’t the strength to cut it right the way through, I liked this method of slicing only three quarters of the way through (see video).

Ridiculous really because coming from good Irish stock, swede and turnip were a staple diet (along with cabbage and potatoes) at almost every meal when I was growing up. Mum must have washed, peeled and sliced a minimum of two swedes every time to feed 9 of us. How on earth did she do it?

Does anyone here on Off have any foolproof tried and tested tips or hints when dealing with these beggars? I much prefer to buy turnips as they are smaller, but I can’t always get them as easily as swedes.

Thanks .

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 06:19 PM

Re: The Bane of my Life! - THE SWEDE.

I know just what you mean re trying to cut up a turnip! The number of times I have nearly lost a finger leaning down hard on the knife which is firmly stuck half way into the bloody thing!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 08:29 PM

This is better than Bruce's beans on toast video.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi everyone. Looked in the vegetable basket to see what I could use up for dinner this evening to go with Chicken Kievs. Want to use up any leftover before I go market shopping tomorrow for the week. I had two large carrots, 1 swede and four large red potatoes. Great, will have saute potatoes and carrot and swede mash.

Now I don’t know about you but the bane of my life is trying to cut through that damned Swede (or Rutabaga as some know it). I just don’t seem to have the strength in my arms to cut through it. I know that one should never attempt it when it is fresh as it is akin to cutting through concrete, but this little beggar is 5 days old and still so solid it could easily still kill you if I dropped it on your head!!

I even went on YouTube to see if there were any useful tips for making the job easier. One or two on there made my eyebrows raise as they looked rather perilous, such as the one where a chap cut a thick slice off the top, placed it back on, put it in a dish and whacked it into the microwave on full for exactly 15 minutes, then just scooped out the cooked flesh ready for mashing. Not for me! I had visions of a mighty explosion with swede over the ceiling.

I did however, come across a little gem that saves a bit of work when preparing a swede for mashing with the carrots. (video is below). So, after getting HWMO to cut off the one end of the swede and peel it before he went out of the door, it was left to me to try this method out, and it does actually work.

Because I haven’t the strength to cut it right the way through, I liked this method of slicing only three quarters of the way through (see video).

Ridiculous really because coming from good Irish stock, swede and turnip were a staple diet (along with cabbage and potatoes) at almost every meal when I was growing up. Mum must have washed, peeled and sliced a minimum of two swedes every time to feed 9 of us. How on earth did she do it?

Does anyone here on Off have any foolproof tried and tested tips or hints when dealing with these beggars? I much prefer to buy turnips as they are smaller, but I can’t always get them as easily as swedes.

Thanks .

[IMG]
[/IMG]
By the stuff pre-cut from Iceland.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->

This is better than Bruce's beans on toast video.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 10:43 PM

I normally peel it (as in the video but) then use a large knife with a tea towel on top so that my hand doesn't slip off the end. Pretty much like the rest of the video but in about a quarter of the time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 11:07 PM

I agree. Bloomin' awful things to peel and dice, Shroppy.

It's a wonder I haven't had an accident before now.
Think I'll do what Judd said and buy frozen, ready diced next winter.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 11:10 PM

Fascinating !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree. Bloomin' awful things to peel and dice, Shroppy.

It's a wonder I haven't had an accident before now.
Think I'll do what Judd said and buy frozen, ready diced next winter.
I agree with both of you They are evil things to peel & slice. Didn't know you could buy them ready prepared though, I'll look out for them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-02-2020, 11:14 PM

What about a chopper? It won't dice a swede but you can ride it round to Tesco's and buy a bag of ready prepared.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top