Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 09:54 PM

Re: Why Shouldn't We Just Walk Away?

Originally Posted by Bread ->
But it also kick started our battery technology innovation which is world leading now.

Hydrogen will be the next revolution ..
You're right Bread, and I've just found a list of countries that are also banning petrol and diesel engines, and some of them have got a deadline shorter than ours......
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You're right Bread, and I've just found a list of countries that are also banning petrol and diesel engines, and some of them have got a deadline shorter than ours......

Yep ...
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 12:39 PM

But it also kick started our battery technology innovation which is world leading now.

Hydrogen will be the next revolution ..
It seems that batteries are not as promising as at first thought due
to the restricted availability of lithium which is only found in two
countries in any quantity? But hydrogen could be a better bet as it
is possible to use it in existing engines so vehicles will need very
little modifications. However hydrogen needs considerable inputs
of energy to produce with present technology?
If we can find a way to produce it by some sort of bio-- chemical
method then it could be the answer?
Donkeyman!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
It seems that batteries are not as promising as at first thought due
to the restricted availability of lithium which is only found in two
countries in any quantity? But hydrogen could be a better bet as it
is possible to use it in existing engines so vehicles will need very
little modifications. However hydrogen needs considerable inputs
of energy to produce with present technology?
If we can find a way to produce it by some sort of bio-- chemical
method then it could be the answer?
Donkeyman!

I remember seeing a Honda CRV that was hydrogen powered on Top Gear a few years ago.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Swimmy, you keep preaching pecentages and how much our
exporters depend on the eu! But the fact is the our trade with eu
costs us as a country approx £80 billion p.a. Enough to build a
HS2 every year!! So obviously it will be advantageous for us to
cease doing this and just contiue to trade with the rest of the world
only more so, as this is what is allready subsidising eu membership?
Yes the unfortunate companies that do happen to export to eu will
have to adapt but they are the smaller part of what sustains this
country? And and we are all aware that there are some risks
involved and what they are so we dont need constant reminders
preached to us!
Donkeyman!
Hi

Percentages are important to manufacturers especially when they are foreign owned.

Our Trade Deficit with the EU is not going to disappear when we leave at the end of this year.

We will still need to Import food and manufactured goods because we are not self sufficient.

Percentages are important, that is how economics work.

The economy of the EU is much larger than the economy of the UK.

The bigger the Economy the better terms you can get on trade deals.

I am convinced that we will make a success of Brexit in the long run.

That success is not going to be instant.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

19-02-2020, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Percentages are important to manufacturers especially when they are foreign owned.

Our Trade Deficit with the EU is not going to disappear when we leave at the end of this year.

We will still need to Import food and manufactured goods because we are not self sufficient.

Percentages are important, that is how economics work.

The economy of the EU is much larger than the economy of the UK.

The bigger the Economy the better terms you can get on trade deals.

I am convinced that we will make a success of Brexit in the long run.

That success is not going to be instant.

I'd say a good 80% of fruit and veg in my tesco is British grown. Same goes for my local butcher and market stalls.

The UK is a growing economy which now has a trade deficit with the world not just the EU.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 01:48 PM

I'd say a good 80% of fruit and veg in my tesco is British grown. Same goes for my local butcher and market stalls.

The UK is a growing economy which now has a trade deficit with the world not just the EU.
Hi

We do have a deficit with the World, which proves my point.

Your observations on food are wrong.

They are correct maybe on what you buy at this time of year.

The facts are very different.

We simply cannot grow what we like to eat.

That will still be coming from the EU simply because of Transport Costs.

I grow my own, many do not.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

19-02-2020, 02:05 PM

Hi

We do have a deficit with the World, which proves my point.

Your observations on food are wrong.

They are correct maybe on what you buy at this time of year.

The facts are very different.

We simply cannot grow what we like to eat.

That will still be coming from the EU simply because of Transport Costs.

I grow my own, many do not.
Go to Tesco and have a look. The labelling is very clear and also the barcode country codes. For your information, the UK sourced stuff starts with the 2 digits as 50 on a 13 digit barcode (EAN13).

Transport costs have very little to do with imports - they are quite insignificant when done in bulk quantities at good prices. Look at the food exports to China from the EU and from Thailand into the EU, New Zealand Lamb, Bananas from Africa etc etc. You really should learn this stuff instead of making it up.

My friend owns a massive fruit and veg company near Saffron Walden. He supplies most of the restaurants and usually its UK sourced fruit and veg, meat etc, plus other stuff from all over the world. Our UK farmers will now be able to export to all over the world too and not be subject to the CET of the EU like we were before. We are also free from the over-priced stuff from the protectionist EU so other countries can be more competitive to the UK straight off the bat.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-02-2020, 02:23 PM

Go to Tesco and have a look. The labelling is very clear and also the barcode country codes. For your information, the UK sourced stuff starts with the 2 digits as 50 on a 13 digit barcode (EAN13).

Transport costs have very little to do with imports - they are quite insignificant when done in bulk quantities at good prices. Look at the food exports to China from the EU and from Thailand into the EU, New Zealand Lamb, Bananas from Africa etc etc. You really should learn this stuff instead of making it up.

My friend owns a massive fruit and veg company near Saffron Walden. He supplies most of the restaurants and usually its UK sourced fruit and veg, meat etc, plus other stuff from all over the world. Our UK farmers will now be able to export to all over the world too and not be subject to the CET of the EU like we were before. We are also free from the over-priced stuff from the protectionist EU so other countries can be more competitive to the UK straight off the bat.
Hi

You simply do not understand.

Such is life.

One of us will be right.

Time will tell who it is.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

19-02-2020, 02:45 PM

Hi

You simply do not understand.

Such is life.

One of us will be right.

Time will tell who it is.
I do understand, Swimmy.

I worked in the food industry for years in packaging, labelling and weighing. If you want another example of UK produced fruit, veg and meat, look at Morrissons. They own their own distribution centre at Gadbrook near Wakefield, Farmers Boy for their meat and cheese and their fruit and veg is done at Cutler Heights in Bradford and also at Gadbrook in Wakefield. They own their own (UK) farms too.

Waitrose supply around 60% (maybe more) UK sourced fruit and veg and Asda is not far behind, with Tesco and Sainsburys.

Then there are the local markets in towns and cities and farmers markets that are hugely popular (plus pick your own stuff) in the countryside and urban areas.

Welsh lamb is quite popular unless you hadn't noticed, as is British Beef and Aberdeen Angus Beef (from Scotland). We also produce lots of cheese, such as Cheddar, Red Leicester, Gloucester, Wenslydale, Brie etc etc - it's not all camembert and gouda you know.

I could go on all day, but your silly claims that we are totally reliable on the EU for fresh fruit, veg and meat etc is simply laughable. We have many farms with farmland "set aside" because of the EU Common Agriculture Policy so farmers receive subsidies for not producing stuff deliberately so we cannot export stuff wholesale into the EU because it would shaft the French (in particular) because of their livelihoods. Should French farms go bankrupt then you will see thousands of French farmers marching off to Paris for jobs that do not exist. Why do you thing there are so many blockades by french farmers and protests ?

While our farmers will no longer receive the EU subsidies for leaving land "set aside" you can bet your life that right now there are seeds in the ground ready for harvesting this autumn.

P.S. most of Tesco's bananas come from Costa Rica which ..

a. Isn't in the EU anyway
b. Is in Central America - much further away than Calais

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top