Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Unauthorised Procedures?

This thread has been prompted by the thread regarding inept doctors and surgery. I came across this practice a few years ago and wondered what your take on it is (I haven't linked to the actual report as it's very long and some may find it disturbing so whether not to look is up to each FM to decide):

Anesthetised women are used to teach pelvic exams to medical students without their permission and both women and men are used for rectal examination lessons.

There was a time I would subscribe to them having to learn to after having been on the receiving end of, what has to be, one of the most inept doctors going and with the consultant nowhere in sight to oversee the procedure, I now would refuse; I know the damage they can cause.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...ract_id=464860

https://litigation-essentials.lexisn...e9695ee868d62a

What is your opinion of what has been tagged as 'Medicine's Dirty Little Secret' and would you give permission?

Do you think that what they do is excusable and necessary?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 11:45 AM

Re: Unauthorised Procedures?

That's horrible Karen no person should have a procedure carried out without their permission ( I am of course excluding necessary treatment used to save life).

I live not far from where there used to be an old 'mental asylum' which became notorious for the experimental procedures used on patients there without their permission . Thank goodness it has now gone, every brick was pulled down.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Some one close to us went into a teaching hospital for a foot operation when he came to he was bleeding from his bottom and no one would tell him why. Took several enquiries his MP finally got involved and he was told rectal exams were regularly carried out when male and female patients were under anaesthesia to teach the new doctors how to do this. This may sound trivial (the hospitals view of it) but this has had far reaching consequences as it is akin to rape really and he has had a terrible time coming to terms with it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 07:25 PM

That's horrible! I didn't trust the last gynae I had, now I'll think twice before I let them do anything!
ratbag
UK
ratbag is female  ratbag has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 12:10 AM

how revolting ,surely its illegal ? I dont want to find out more its bad enough knowing this is happening.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

13-06-2013, 03:35 AM

totally unacceptable and unnecessary - today there is a wide range of model synthetic bodies that all health professionals should have access to to practice on. Using human bodies either deceased or unconscious is unnecessary but of course saves them money. It is unethical, illegal and amoral and needs stamping out.

Mind you back in the early 70's when I was undertaking some medical training in London I now recall that there were cadavers in cold storage for practicing although we never got involved to that extent. But looking back no one ever wondered how these bodies were acquired and just assumed it was all legit . God the mind boggles.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ratbag ->
how revolting ,surely its illegal ? I dont want to find out more its bad enough knowing this is happening.
Unfortunately, it isn't illegal. There are some members of the medical profession who are trying to put a stop to this. Our hospital even went so far as to do this to me whilst I only had a local anasthetic but I could see neither of them knew really what they were doing and the end result was tremendously painful. I have told them I will never have anything done with only a local and now I'm too scared to have a general anasthetic! I suppose we could insist on a family member being present throughout a procedure; as far as I'm aware, that isn't prohibited.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

13-06-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->

Mind you back in the early 70's when I was undertaking some medical training in London I now recall that there were cadavers in cold storage for practicing although we never got involved to that extent. But looking back no one ever wondered how these bodies were acquired and just assumed it was all legit . God the mind boggles.
Some people do leave their bodies to medical science and once I'm dead, they can do what they like with my body - it won't matter to me anymore!

I think some doctors forget the Hipporatic oath they're supposed to take (even the revised version still states 'do no harm' and 'respect your patient').

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top