Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 10:49 PM

Re: Jury Service

[QUOTE=BowieEyes;327677]I think that a lot of people up to the age of now 75 and not 65 will be let off the duty as not everyone is going to be with it at that age.
I have only been called once and enjoyed my time on the two trials I was asked to be on. I was the Jury Foreman on both occasions so I had to
keep awake as I had to remember everything and then get a verdict.
I would definitely have to say something to the person who said " it was
like finding my grandson guilty." I always made clear to all the other 11 people it was the evidence they had to make a decision on not what
they thought of the defendant.[/
QUOTE]

Absolutely bang on there, Sandy. I'd love to be a juror as I'm very interested in criminal investigation/psychology (real life, not fiction) and I would find it fascinating. I believe jurors are allowed to take notes during the trial.

I don't think age should come into it at all, unless someone is suffering from a debilitating mental illness, but I do think that there should be a register, as someone suggested, whereby potential jurors can be assessed, rather than just thrown in at the deep end.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 11:02 PM

It's a shame crime unleashes such intrigue.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Now that is not what I meant at all, but sadly it is true for many. However, I wouldn't want to be a juror for that reason, but to bring a criminal to justice.

Are you saying you don't watch anything on telly about crime, be it fact or fiction?

I get upset when a child is abducted, raped, abused, murdered, or a mad dog ravages someone, or a murder has been committed, or an old person has been battered beyond recognition. Of course I want those culpable to be brought before the courts and to be tried. Wouldn't you? Is there no fire in your soul to make sure these people are behind bars, or shall we just allow the perpetrators to run amok with no justice system?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 11:41 PM

Well I thought it was good, it was better to be on a case than sat in the jury room bored to tears.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I tend to agree. A bit like the the French knitting hags waiting for the guillotine to fall.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 12:41 PM

In my particular County, it's a "One day one trial" summons. You get called for one day only. If you do not get put on a jury then you are done and cannot be called for a year. If you do get on a jury, you serve only as long as the trial lasts.

Federal court Jury duty is different. It's two weeks out of your life regardless and day after boring day if you are not called to a jury.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->

Absolutely bang on there, Sandy. I'd love to be a juror as I'm very interested in criminal investigation/psychology (real life, not fiction) and I would find it fascinating. I believe jurors are allowed to take notes during the trial.
Jurors are allowed to take notes during the trial, but they are not allowed to be taken out of the court building, they have to be left behind.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 03:11 PM

i was on jury duty twice,,,the second time was so boring ...i could hardly keep my eyes open...and if the judge says,,,,the jury will disregard that....want a bet....they've heard it and it's in their heads....
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 06:55 PM

I had to smile when we the jury were asked to leave the court room for a while, when we got back in, the next witness was in the stand, he was asked to stand to be sworn in, and 2 guards also stood behind him.
After that witness had given evidence, we were again asked to leave the court room, and on our return witness and guards were gone.
Do they think we were thick?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by valice ->
I had to smile when we the jury were asked to leave the court room for a while, when we got back in, the next witness was in the stand, he was asked to stand to be sworn in, and 2 guards also stood behind him.
After that witness had given evidence, we were again asked to leave the court room, and on our return witness and guards were gone.
Do they think we were thick?
Not sure I understand that, what do you think happened while you were out?
What would worry me about elderly jurors is, now don't get offended, but, they may be a bit old fashioned with regards things like sexuality and peoples backgrounds. I know a few who still use derogatory terms which are not suitable today, if they got on a jury, heaven help any gay or minority group person standing trial.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top