Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Re: Who wants to make a bet ???

Exactly how I always feel when we write CV's either be honest and proud or lie because that is what trimming is in this context. And most employers want a truthful employee.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
If I was to 'trim' my CV and leave out all the parts which portrait my experience and disguise my age I would leave a blank sheet ....what do you do with nearly 30 years ....as soon as any employer see a CV like that they are just as likely to 'bin' it .....IE whats this bloke hiding , is he ashamed of something ??? ... That was a scenario that was discussed at a recent CV building course.....Ok you may be able to leave out 1 job and swallow up a year ...but i dont think nearly 30 years can be hidden ...
I only suggest it because what you have is clearly not working and perhaps it is time to be more creative and/or inventive in your job applications. Initially you only have to tell an employer that you fulfil their criteria not give them your life history (they are not that interested), less is often more.

Anyway it is you looking for a job but to me it is obvious you have to change something in your approach.
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 09:17 PM

I was speaking to a friend of mine who knew someone that used to be a recruitment consultant and he said that because they get so many applicants for jobs when they get the e mail applications in they run it through the computer and if your CV does not hit the right amount of "Buzz words" then you don't get through the paper sift.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 09:45 AM

My CV only has details my last 2 jobs which covers the last 20 years I cant really omit that as they might think i been in prison ....there is a way to get through the "paper sifting" trick ..it is not exactly honest , but you are only technically fibbing to a machine...this is the trick ...first you read the job ad very carefully then you add keywords to your CV..it doesn't matter where any blank space will do if you are applying for a job as a driver with a HGV clean licence and 5 years experience and NVQ'S those are the words you drop in the the blank spaces ....then you highlight the words and change the font colour to WHITE...and presto they are invisible to the human eye.....when the computer reads the document electronically it CAN see them though...hopefully then the computer will let your CV through..if the employer prints it out they will still appear white so unless he prints on coloured paper you should be ok ....
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 02:57 PM

What is a CV?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
What is a CV?
Its your employment history and some personal stuff too ....
You present it at your interview
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 03:44 PM

It must be something you are doing wrong at the interviews, you do seem to come across as arrogant with your "too old and over experienced" excuse.
I remember it's almost two years since you said you couldn't get a job because you were "too over qualified", you then went on to tell us that you haven't got any qualifications as such.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 04:02 PM

I dont think so Jimmy - I've heard time and again - you're to old, too experienced - not experienced enough - its bloomin tough out there to get a job, its like winning a lottery now !
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Its your employment history and some personal stuff too ....
You present it at your interview
I figured that... but was wondering what CV stood for. Here we call it a resume
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

26-08-2013, 04:07 PM

Sorry Audrey - Curriculum Vitae ....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top