Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 08:31 PM

On the road

Greetings from Membury services on the M4

I'm on a short mercy mission to visit my mother's oldest friend in Kent. I spoke with her on the phone the other day and she was desperately down and tearful, and my mother was her oldest friend, so I found myself asking her if she would like me to visit...

First time back in England for nearly two years, and I had to laugh at myself for thinking how very English it looks Well, it should do, shouldn't it?

Overnight here, then to Kent for the morning, then turn around and head back to Cardiff for another night before getting the boat home. And stocking up with wine and other things that are so much cheaper here than in Ireland
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 08:44 PM

Re: On the road

That's a very thoughtful thing to do Ania, sure you have a heart of gold. I hope you enjoy your takeaways, you deserve to, safe journey back.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 09:05 PM

Have a good time Ania one of the joys of being retired is you can 'up and off ' when you feel like it.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 09:35 PM

What a good thing for you to do, I hope your mother's friend appreciates it as I'm sure she will.

Drive safely.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Have a good time Ania one of the joys of being retired is you can 'up and off ' when you feel like it.
Yes, Meg, if you can't spare the time for a little kindness when you are retired, when can you? I'm busy researching inns that take dogs so next time I can bring Bennie. For now he has to stay with friends back home.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 11:01 PM

What a nice, kind lady you are to be so thoughtful
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

23-08-2013, 08:05 AM

You flatter me too much, guys! I feel I am doing this trip for my mother in some ways. As I can no longer do things for my mother directly, it gives me some comfort that there are things I can do in her memory which may help others.
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Ania I hope you have a good journey home. I'm sure your Mum's friend really appreciates your visit, it is keeping the link with your Mum alive for her as well as you.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Ania, hope your journey is good..and the visit went well.

I'm in touch with an old friend of my mum too, in fact it is her birthday next week. I'll be sending her a card and ringing to see how she is.
As Moira said, it's keeping that link alive.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

23-08-2013, 08:29 PM

Ugh!! Next time I plan this trip will someone remind me of how much I hate the M25!!!
Still, it was definitely worth the trip, although she began to tire after about an hour and a half.Overnighting in Cardiff tonight, before filling up the car with (relatively) cheap wine and boarding the boat back tomorrow afternoon.
Yes, I am glad that we are keeping the link alive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top