Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 06:52 AM

Storm Tossed !

We had a dreadful storm last night - the most violent that I have ever seen and it lasted from 10:00pm until 01:30am. The lightning flashes seemed almost at ground level and were continuous. I have never seen red lightning before! It struck an electricity substation somewhere near and we were without power all night - came back on about 05:00am. It wiped out the telephones as well - landline and cell phone were off all night. Just seen the papers - buildings were struck in York, in Coppergate, in Acomb, and in Haxby. Not sure yet how much damage was done. My poor cats were terrified and, I have to admit, so was I !! It really was nasty. Unfortunately I do not think it has finished with us yet - the air outside is still clammy and humid, and there is a lot of low ominous cloud about. I am just going to have breakfast and then try to grab a few winks of sleep before it starts again.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 06:57 AM

Re: Storm Tossed !

That sounds absolutely horrific, gave me the shudders reading your post.
I would have been 'under' the bed !
Can only hope it improves for you - soon !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 07:44 AM

Nothing about it on the news this morning. It's a bit misty here but very mild. Light rain forecast for tomorrow.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 09:08 AM

Silver Tabby - I think I saw that heading over to the UK yesterday. For a while, it went very 'close' and darkish here with very ominous looking clouds skudding their way towards England and I did wonder who was in for it!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 09:17 AM

So humid last night and got dark very early for time of year, we were convinced we would have a storm but nothing. Sunny and warm here today so it obviously missed us.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 09:19 AM

I've been wondering if the timing of our seasons is changing. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago about leaves on the lawn and I'm sure it's darker earlier now than it used to be. When I went out last night, there was an 'autumn smell' (if that makes sense) to the air. Also a fair bit of dew on the grass in the morning.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 09:53 AM

We had a similar storm a few weeks ago which bought the power lines down in the field next to my house. I usually enjoy a good storm but this was something else

I think there is more on the way tomorrow.

A lot of bad weather doesn't seem to get reported if it is north of Watford.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 09:56 AM

Sorry to hear of the dreadful storm, Silver Tabby, hope you have managed a couple of hours sleep.
Hubby and I both feel that the mornings are autumnal, this week.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I've been wondering if the timing of our seasons is changing. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago about leaves on the lawn and I'm sure it's darker earlier now than it used to be. When I went out last night, there was an 'autumn smell' (if that makes sense) to the air. Also a fair bit of dew on the grass in the morning.
I did notice this last few morning the field mushrooms have put in an appearance.
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 11:47 AM

Definitely an autumnal smell early mornings and evenings this week. Glad to say we have not had any storms here, but we could do with some rain.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top