Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 12:22 PM

Re: Storm Tossed !

I have a question.. Do Tornados ever strike the UK? Those are something I am terrified of. I have seen them and I have been close to them, but fortunately have never been in one. Going underground is the best bet.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 12:41 PM

This is strange but true. We here in the UK, have more tornadoes than America! But they are puny, in comparison. (adjusting the land size)
I've been trying to find the link where I read this but here is one for 2006.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6217514.stm
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
This is strange but true. We here in the UK, have more tornadoes than America! But they are puny, in comparison. (adjusting the land size)
That is interesting.. I have never heard that.. What about Hurricaines.. ? Do those ever reach you?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
That is interesting.. I have never heard that.. What about Hurricaines.. ? Do those ever reach you?

Yes Audrey darlin' we even get Hurricanes too!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLUxsmADWrA
AudreyII
USA

23-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Audrey darlin' we even get Hurricanes too!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLUxsmADWrA
It's just we never hear about it.. I would think we would if they caused damage like Katrina or Sandy.

Sorry... I cannot open YouTube here.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 06:21 PM

The thunder roared, the lightning flashed and all the World was shaken!
The little pig curled up his tail and ran to save his bacon!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
We had a dreadful storm last night - the most violent that I have ever seen and it lasted from 10:00pm until 01:30am. The lightning flashes seemed almost at ground level and were continuous. I have never seen red lightning before! It struck an electricity substation somewhere near and we were without power all night - came back on about 05:00am. It wiped out the telephones as well - landline and cell phone were off all night. Just seen the papers - buildings were struck in York, in Coppergate, in Acomb, and in Haxby. Not sure yet how much damage was done. My poor cats were terrified and, I have to admit, so was I !! It really was nasty. Unfortunately I do not think it has finished with us yet - the air outside is still clammy and humid, and there is a lot of low ominous cloud about. I am just going to have breakfast and then try to grab a few winks of sleep before it starts again.
That would have scared me too Silver Tabby, hope it doesn't move down south next, it's mighty dark and airless tonight. Hope you get better sleep tonight.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Oddly enough, many years ago, I would say around 15 years ago now, but it may be longer, we had very old rotten wooden window frames which desperately needed replacing, and the glass was just single ply.

Gordon was asleep on the couch which was under the window, the curtains were closed but were blowing because of the gaps in the window frames, and the house was quiet.

Suddenly I heard a howl that I'd never heard before and it terrified me. Can't put into words the sound, but it was something like a row-row-row-row gust which swept up our road very fast and, when it reached our house, I honestly thought the windows were going to break, but the curtains flew up like flags.

I later found out that several mini tornadoes had swept the country including Scotland, and had brought a few trees down, tiles off roofs etc. It was very scary, but nothing here since, but these were definitely at ground level and probably stood no higher than about 6/7 feet.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
We had a dreadful storm last night - the most violent that I have ever seen and it lasted from 10:00pm until 01:30am. The lightning flashes seemed almost at ground level and were continuous. I have never seen red lightning before! .
Better get used to it! if the predicted 5'C rise in temperature over the next century is even half right storms everywhere will become more violent and more frequent.

I don't think you can get Cyclones or Hurricanes in the UK, you are far too far north I suspect it is just a sloppy use of language used to describe a severe storm. We have similar events where I live but call them east coast lows however if they occurred a 1000km further north would probably become a cyclone, as it is they just have destructive winds of perhaps 120 KPH. (and of course the surfies love them)
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Better get used to it! if the predicted 5'C rise in temperature over the next century is even half right storms everywhere will become more violent and more frequent.
Thanks!! I think I'll start digging a fallout shelter now.

I don't think you can get Cyclones or Hurricanes in the UK, you are far too far north I suspect it is just a sloppy use of language used to describe a severe storm.
Not sure about cyclones - but we do have hurricanes from time to time. Not so often or so violent as yours or the USA, perhaps, but they do happen.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top