Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 11:00 AM

Cat Given Dog's Blood To Save His Life

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...n-8778796.html

Who would have thought that cross-species blood would mix!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 12:05 PM

Re: Cat Given Dog's Blood To Save His Life

How wonderful !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Independent
With Rory fading fast, Ms Heller realised there wasn’t enough time to send a sample of his blood for analysis and find a suitable blood donor for the transfusion he so desperately needed.

She instead decided the best course of action would be to contact her friend Michele Whitmore, who volunteered her black labrador Macy as a doggie blood donor.

Without knowing if their blood types matched, Ms Heller decided to make a potentially fatal move to press ahead with a transfusion.
Blimey, what are the odds of that working?
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Blimey, what are the odds of that working?
Slim, but better than the odds of the cat living without it.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 03:47 PM

I wonder if we could tolerate the blood of, say, chimps or something? Very interesting though that it succeeded.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 04:08 PM

It would be purely a short term measure in a 'do or die' struation.

The cat may reject the blood, but in the meantime they will have cross matched feline blood ready for another infusion if this happens.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->

The cat may reject the blood, but in the meantime they will have cross matched feline blood ready for another infusion if this happens.
Of course you would know more about this than me, but I believe it would be similar to humans where anybody could be given any kind of (human, of course) blood in an emergency? Maybe I'm wrong.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

24-08-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->

Ah, so it would be possible then! Crikey.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

24-08-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
Of course you would know more about this than me, but I believe it would be similar to humans where anybody could be given any kind of (human, of course) blood in an emergency? Maybe I'm wrong.
My brother had to have an emergency blood transfusion the moment he was born (a blue baby) as my mother's and father's blood fought in his body - who would've thought that could happen.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
My brother had to have an emergency blood transfusion the moment he was born (a blue baby) as my mother's and father's blood fought in his body - who would've thought that could happen.
Oh yes indeed that could happen, if the variants of blood were totally different in mother and father.

I'm not medically trained so I'm no expert at all but, for example if a mother has A+ and the father has O-, then the blood would certainly have an adverse effect on a baby.

Two positives would probably be okay, but a positive and a negative could create problems - I fink!

It's so important to know your blood group. Do you? I'm A+.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top