Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 10:34 AM

Car and home insurance costs

It's that time of year again when both the car and home insurances become due.

This time we were very pleased to see that the costs have come down considerably. VW golf plus, fully comp + protected policy + legal cover for around £140 p.a.

House insurance (buildings + contents) for a similar amount.

Anyone else noticed that policies are cheaper this year? (I must ask our younger daughter, who is an insurance underwriter, what's happening.)

Trick seems to be not to look at over 50's policies which are often more expensive than standard ones. They must think that we all drive flashy sports cars, have endless holidays abroad and have the odd Van Gogh or two hanging on the lounge walls.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 11:07 AM

Re: Car and home insurance costs

I nearly renewed my home insurance without looking around. When I did I was shocked at the difference. When I mentioned it to my existing insurer they came back with an offer that was 50% less than if I hadn't said anything! Ended up moving anyways and saving a great deal of money.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 12:30 PM

My Peugeot's car insurance was renewed a week ago for the cost of £176.65, and my home insurance was renewed a couple of months ago for £135 - both with Direct Line.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 01:14 PM

I am so envious. Insurance of any sort here is astronomical. Think about 3-4 times what you guys are paying...And that is with plenty of regular shopping around each year.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 01:16 PM

I found out that if you're divorced you have to pay more, that's hardly fair!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 02:01 PM

We have been loyal for years but looking round this year we decided to jump ship, annoying that loyalty is not rewarded but new customers get all the good deals. You would think someone with a really good history of never claiming would get the deals.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top