Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:48 PM

Nets or Blinds?

I was having a conversation with the wife today about replacing our vertical blinds, which have started to fall off, and I thought about possibly switching to net curtains.

The long and the short of that debate was that we'd just buy a new set of blinds as, being smokers who smoke in the house, nets would become yellowed in no time and would look awful, but it made me wonder what others prefer.

I remember my parents always had net curtains and my mother swore by them, but then there are people who say they aren't good because you can't see through them very well and when you open the window they can blow all over the place.

Your thoughts?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Re: Nets or Blinds?

We have nets in the bedroom, means we can have the curtains open while we change clothes. But just curtains everywhere else, like the windows open quite a lot and nets make the rooms feel more closed in. Roller blinds in the kitchen and bathroom. Would like to change the bathroom one for a venetian blind but can't afford that at the moment.

Not keen on vertical blinds have cleaned too many of them in offices so always think of an office when I see them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Your thoughts?
Neither
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:57 PM

We recently ditched nets, never thought I would but pleased we did ...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Buy brown nets! No seriously, nets would be easier to wash than blinds. But, you can replace single vertical blinds, I think, if they get damaged. However, they do remind me of offices. I need to replace my nets, cat damage, so I know the problem. The people opposite have verticals but when I walk past I can see in, as I'm lower down than the footpath I have to consider all options.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 04:01 PM

You cant see in with normal blinds if angled right, but the cat will climb them too ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
You cant see in with normal blinds if angled right, but the cat will climb them too ....
Ours used to climb curtains and nets too cats are not fussy what they climb LOL
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 04:20 PM

We have both,
Nets upstairs and vertical blinds downstairs.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 05:29 PM

I don't have nets or blinds up at the windows but, in the bedroom, I do have nets that can be pulled across (like curtains) if I'm changing clothes but they're always opened again straight after. Just 'big' curtains everywhere else.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 05:47 PM

Third floor, nothing overlooks, so neither, and have to say that I hate vertical blinds. they always make me think of 70/80's Council offices. There is a small estate just down the road from here, and just about every house has them, I kid you not. There used to be a manufacturer on a small industrial estate just about half way between and I reckon their rep. must have thought all his Christmases had come at once.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top