Join for free
Jojo1956
New Member!
UK
Jojo1956 is female 

29-05-2020, 07:23 PM

I need a kick start if you can help me please!

Hello all. I have been advised to eat more healthily and, now that I have time to really make changes, I have decided to take a good look at my diet in order to lose the extra weight I carry. I need to eat healthy carbs as I have tended to have far too much sugar (added/ hidden) in the past and I want to keep to full fat dairy.
I wonder, are there any staple food items you rely on in order to eat healthily? I'd like to stick to foods I can sort of forget about if you know what I mean but it can be confusing. For example I love Greek Style yoghurt but I'm guessing proper Greek yoghurt is better so any particular brands you'd recommend? I eat plenty of fibre but way too much of the unhealthy carbs. Bread is something I wonder about too - I adore granary and seeded. Just looking around for a good starting point really so have been reading some of the threads. Thanks for reading. Jojo.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 07:43 PM

Re: I need a kick start if you can help me please!

Hi Jojo,

Nice to meet you.

I'm The Lion Queen

Over the last three years I have lost a lot of weight, a tremendous amount in fact as I had gained so much weight in my grief that I almost killed myself.

I knew it was time to take stock when one day I looked in the mirror and didn't recognise the woman looking back at me.

I decided to research nutrition and over the past 3 years I learned how to eat healthily and enjoy what I ate and don't miss all the stodge and crap I used to eat.

Here I will list my 'diet' to help you along your way.

Typical Breakfasts:

1. I eat half a pot of Protein Yoghurt from lidl , with strawberries or raspberries a small handful of almonds (about 4 or 5) and then I very lightly drizzle nutritious manuca honey over it, manuca is expensive but it is the most health benefit and you only drizzle it so it lasts a long time. My favourite yoghurt flavour is Vanilla but they do Strawberry, Raspberry or Peach & Passion Fruit flavours too. All absolutely scrumptious.

I especially love Lidls 22g Protein Yoghurts by Milbona, oh they are addictive. I feel like I'm eating cream yet they are so healthy with 22g protein, only 134 calories and 2.4g of sugar per 200g pot.

2. Scrambled egg or soft boiled egg mixed with spinach on 1 slice protein bread, Tescos protein bread is nice

3. Egg, quorn sausage, baked beans and mushrooms.

I use a small side plate and fill it up and it tricks my brain into thinking I'm eating loads.

3: 2 Pikelets or 1 Crumpet with 30g grate cheese. I buy the individual cheeses as they are 30g and I know exactly how much I'm getting, sometimes I put an egg on.

I tend to eat little and often. Mid morning, around 11am I will have either a couple satsumas or a bag of lentil curls or pea snacks which are good for protein. I buy Lidls and they are really tasty, I especially like the sweet chili lentil curls. Aldi sell them too but I don't find them as nice.

Lunch when I'm working, which is Monday-Friday is almost always a healthy salad either prepared by myself or from my works canteen salad bar. I am really lucky, they run a very healthy salad bar full of nutritious food which I love.

I eat lots of cooked pearl barley, lentils, giant couscous mixed with spinach, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, onion, cold sweet potato and cold butternut squash seasoned and spiced, beetroot & avocado mashed. Mmmmm making myself hungry thinking about it.

I make a lot of wholesome soups so sometimes I take soup, I like mine thick then I feel like I have eaten something, it fills me up.

I rarely even have sandwiches, I only tend to eat bread if I am having toast with my egg so to stop it going mouldy I freeze four slices a time and they usually last me 4 days although these days I'm using more because my husband is really enjoying the protein bread too! In fact he eats most of what I eat only on a larger scale lol.

They do a protein pot from Marks & Spencers that are lovely so sometimes I might have one of those.

Mid afternoon after finishing work is when I have my mini magnum treat, oh I love 'em. I'm very disciplined and never have more than 1, I feel I have had my treat and that will do.

For tea/supper is usually fish or chicken with sweet potato fries (made myself cooked in the oven and spiced) and veggies. If I haven't had salad for lunch I sometimes make it to go with my fish or chicken.

We sometimes have shepherds pie made with 5% fat mince and topped with sweet potato or carrots and swede mashed then I top it with a sprinkling of cheese and brown in the oven.

I make homemade curries from scratch and eat with a couple of poppadoms, my husband has chapattis, sometimes I might eat half of one but they fill me up too much so don't generally bother. Rice is sometimes an option.

I make my own indian shami kebabs which are very low in fat.

If I'm having a hungry day I usually graze on low sugar/fat free yoghurt or sugar free jelly with yoghurt.

I seem to have overcome the health issues I had for the first couple of years and I truly think it's because of my nutritious eating habits. Mind you, I have developed a heart problem but I reckon that's probably because of my very unhealthy lifestyle and all that weight I was carrying for such a long time. I'm 60 now, I guess it caught up with me but I'm on medication and I'm doing everything right. Exercising, eating healthy and being aware of what goes in my body.

I do treat myself the a glass of vino when I feel like it.

I have learned how to balance things. I believe a little of what ever you fancy now and then is fine, it's just finding that balance and being aware what you are putting in your body and of course exercise. Right now the only exercise I can take is walking, I'm a bit fed up I can't swim because of how things are in the world with with awful virus but this is how it has to be so be it, walking is good, especially power walking.

My treats that I really enjoy are mini magnums (from Lidl) which are only around 150 calories or a single finger of Twirl which are around 100 calories.

I hope this helps, good luck love. If you want anymore help I'm happy to help.

xxx
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 08:52 PM

In addition to all of the items Lion Queen has posted, I recommend eating nuts and seeds … almonds are one of the healthiest foods on the planet.

Additionally, I suggest that you cut way back on any fruit juices and instead eat whole fresh fruit. This will diminish the amount of sugar in your diet.

I am sure that you already know that carbs, in any form, are loaded with sugars. ie; pastas, breads, potatoes etc. When you do eat carbs, try to eat ones packed with vitamins, such as carrots, celery, onions, peas, peppers, and any root vegetables. Nothing wrong with salads but the dressing we put on salads are often loaded with sugars. I suggest you make up some wine vinegar and olive oil dressing.

Proteins such as beef, pork, chicken will give you a feeling of being full, and that feeling lasts much longer than carbs. Just trim away as much of the fat as possible... especially chicken skin.

Oh, I almost forgot. Garlic is the natural enemy of cholesterol. Try to include it in as many recipes as possible.

good luck and enjoy healthy eating.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 11:26 PM

Hi Jojo. I am type 2 diabetic and also have cardiomyopathy. My heart is stable at the moment and I have about 30% capacity. But it takes a lot of work to stay well and diet is primo in that respect. All good advice above. Basically if I were you I would concentrate on minimising sugar AMAP. Also very little salt is good. If you have a sweet tooth try Stevia but don't eat too much of that either. If you can exercise an hour walking a day is more than enough for someone of your age. I am 68 and I try to to do an hour walk every two days. As long as you eat a balanced diet with all the food groups: and unless you have allergies, you should be fine. Obviously don't eat too much saturated fat but a little fat is fine in milk etc. Have you seen the diet pyramid?.If not I'll post it. GOod luck.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 10:25 AM

Hello JOJO

Healthy diet, nutrition, weight loss, foods to eat etc is a huge subject, people have written books, and studied it to a huge extent
I'm not going to give you too much on particular foods, instead here are some ideas to help you find out more

I have diabetes, and eat to suit that
But the idea now is that we should not look on it as a diet just for diabetics, it is a healthy diet that anyone can follow
So get onto this website -- www.diabetes.org.uk
towards the top of the home page go to 'living with diabetes'
then 'food and exercise'
within that there are sections on healthy eating, and a recipe finder; and possibly a meal planner, i can't quite remember now

Just as with this forum, you can get on their forum without registering
there are sections on food, and a book section with recommendations for healthy & low carb food & diet

Go to your library (when it opens again) or search Amazon books for books on healthy diets
You can also Search on YouTube for 'healthy eating', but as with many things on YT you need to treat it with a bit of caution, and once you start following the links & prompts it can be never ending

Places like doctors, sports centres, community centre usually have leaflets

The Mediterranean Diet is considered very healthy; again, Search YT & books accordingly

I wonder? it might be worth having a quick test for diabetes.
The Dreaded D is very insidious and can come on gradually without your realising it; it did in my case
Most pharmacies can give you a quick, free test, and if necessary point you in the right direction for further treatment
They usually have healthy diet leaflets anyway

Healthy diet and weight loss programmes crop up frequently on TV
Remember that they are for entertainment as well as information, but they're easy enough to watch

Here are some general changes to be going on with --

Reduce the amount of carbohydrate you eat -- certainly cut out white bread and a lot of buns, pies, cakes, biscuits, sugar etc
A small amount of high fibre bread is OK
Also reduce or stop eating potatoes, rice, pasta etc.

Reduce the amount of fat - certainly lots of animal fat like bacon, sausages, burgers, especially if they are fried
The only fat I use now is olive oil. It doesn't need to be the expensive extra virgin, the cheaper promiscuous stuff is fine!
I use a small amount of polyunsaturated margarine, and a very small amount of butter

I haven't gone vegetarian, but I've stopped eating a lot of meat, but I eat more fish
I used to love pate till I realised it was just pink fat!

Plenty of veg & salads
Sometimes I make up savoury yogurt for a snack - natural yogurt with chopped onion, celery, cucumber, blanched broccoli; you get the idea

I wonder, do you live on your own? The problem I have is that if you buy a cabbage and a bag of carrots you have them for several meals, or they go off
So fat I haven't had the nerve to just buy one carrot, two mushrooms etc.
Have a browse round the frozen sections of supermarkets including Iceland
Besides the cakes, pizzas, pies, & battered fish you can find ready prepared veg, fish & stir fry mixes
That way you can eat as much or as little as you want. And the fish will usually be prepared for you

One more thing; exercise helps
Diet and exercise have a sort of rolling or combined effect for weigh loss.
Start off simply, and the more you do, the more you will be able to do
It's summer now. You don't need serious mountaineering gear to go on a walk and explore your local town I footpaths
Just some comfy trainers, casual clothes, and a small bag for a bottle of water and a (healthy!) snack

I think that'll do for the moment, I hope I haven't rambled or bored you too much

Good luck and let us know how you go on
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 06:36 AM

Some very interesting posts there. I'm particularly interested in the carb-free/low diet posted by Lion Queen.

When I looked this up on google I was very disappointed to find certain foods are considered to have high carbs and shouldn't in eaten. These include rice - some not all; pasta - which has 25 g per 100g; banana - 27g each and some other fruit is very high in carbs. I found a huge amount of conflicting information on google - it seems some melon has high carbs and other's don't - e.g Watermelon (which is fairly obvious) and Honeydew (which isn't).

I see your menu suggestions include Quinoa - but that also appears to be high in carbs .........so I guess a line has to be drawn with carbs; then protein value and glycemic index of foods also need to be considered. I really like Basmati & Wild Rice which says it has 24.2/100 g carbs and 3g protein.

So can I please ask you: When considering what eat, what level of carbs/protein/glycemic index do you look for?
AND
To ease into a healthy diet, can you suggest some food swops?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top