Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 09:06 AM

Re: Lessons your mother never taught you .

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Was there anything to read in those papers?
Nothing but they were useful for firelighting and for putting at the bottom of the budgies cage .
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 09:29 AM

Mum didn't teach me much.

She never bothered teaching me to cook but cooking wasn't her strong point. And make up, nope.

Nan taught me to knit and crochet but that's about it, everything else I learnt through trial and error.

Except for one thing, the one thing she DID teach me, which was a valuable life lesson, how to manage money. That has stood me in good stead all my life.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 10:22 AM

I never knew my mother, she died when I was 16 months old.

When I hear people criticising their mothers over small things I think how lucky they were to have had a Mother, it must have been a wonderful thing.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 10:28 AM

My mum came and went in my life.

I can't say she ever taught me practical things but she did teach me compassion kindness and right from wrong. One thing when she was around she was really hot on...table manners and sitting up straight at the table.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 10:30 AM

I think my mother taught me to not be like her, my nan however taught me almost everything I needed to know to have a good life. Only thing she didn't teach me about was sex, her advice on that was just don't do it and if you have to just think of something else, not sure she was the most liberated in the bedroom. Oh and don't ever get naked in front of anyone including your husband

I did learn not to drink too much from my mum, I have always had a horror I might end up drinking like she did if I do.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
My mum came and went in my life.

I can't say she ever taught me practical things but she did teach me compassion kindness and right from wrong. One thing when she was around she was really hot on...table manners and sitting up straight at the table.

Oh yeah, when we (my Sisters and I) were children, and had to lay the table for meals, after the table cloth and before any place settings or cutlery or condiments were set, we placed an empty milk bottle on the table in which stood a bamboo cane. If we misbehaved at the table we got a rap across the knuckles with the cane from either George or Dragon.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Oh yeah, when we (my Sisters and I) were children, and had to lay the table for meals, after the table cloth and before any place settings or cutlery or condiments were set, we placed an empty milk bottle on the table in which stood a bamboo cane. If we misbehaved at the table we got a rap across the knuckles with the cane from either George or Dragon.
Wow...now that is strict and scary ...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 12:12 PM

I think I learnt more from my Dad than my Mum. He taught & told me about sex for both sexes & about gay people too, when we had watched a TV program about this. We used to have discussions about all aspects of sexual behaviour , this was when I was a teen, Mum used to walk out the room, she didn't want to hear or talk about it.
So if I ever wanted to know anything about anything, not just sex, I'd ask my lovely Dad.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 12:16 PM

I learnt far more off my dad than my mum.....I learnt how to put someone down with an acid tongue from my mum,im sure she mustve taught me countless other beneficial stuff as ive survived thus far lol
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Maybe I got my love of animals from my Mum as I remember she always loved them too. Dad could take 'em or leave 'em, but me and Mum always loved them.

Dad was very strict and old fashioned which I sometimes resented, it is not till later years we realise it was because he wanted to protect me in his own clumsy way.

My parents started their own business when I was just a kid at school.
I remember feeling a bit hurt sometimes when at mealtimes it became just Mum & Dad discussing work all the while, and the family chats we had seemed gone. I had things to tell them sometimes, but didn't interrupt, so things got left unsaid.
Daft really, I should have spoken up but I never did.

Sex was never discussed at home. I have no idea whether Dad talked about it to my brother, but Mum never discussed it with me, I don't think they did in those days much.

I remember once though, when I came in from school Mum sitting me down and trying to explain about ladies having 'periods'.
I think she struggled with that, and I remember I felt really embarrassed.

They weren't demonstrative parents, I don't remember many kisses and cuddles, but I know I was loved nevertheless.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top