Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:08 PM

Am I being over sensitive?

I need some mature opnions please!

There's an older woman (she's 78) walks her dog in the same place I walk mine in the mornings, ie: The lake. She has told me that she's nervous about walking round there on her own (the paths are uneven) in case she falls over and can't get back up.

I told her as long as I knew what time she would be there I would make sure I'm there at the same time and that I'd walk round with her. She was very pleased when I said this and it has been working well for a while now.

Over Christmas she's been coming out about 45 minutes later than normal which has meant me doing the same, not entirely convenient for me but I don't want to let her down so I've carried on doing it.

This morning we met as normal but half way round the lake one of her other friends appeared coming the other way. She said "Oh look, there's X, I'll turn round and walk back with her, see you, bye".

I am a little bit miffed about this, it's like I was dismissed. But I can't work out if maybe I'm being over sensitive.

What do you think?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:38 PM

Re: Am I being over sensitive?

I would feel just like you Nicol. In fact, I would take this opportunity to adjust my "time" and let her adjust her's to suit you.

Start the New Year off right .... and do what is best for Nicol...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:39 PM

I don't think you are being over sensitive at all. I used to help an older lady with her shopping did it for well over 5 years, when her son met me at the door one day said he was living there now and I was no longer needed I was miffed too. I think sometimes people take us who help them rather for granted. They forget we have families and are helping them for free !
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:45 PM

I would be hacked off good style, and tomorrow I would go back to my own routine with no feelings of guilt at all. If she says anything when she next sees you then tell her how you feel and to hell with her feelings. Sorry if that sounds cruel but she's playing you, dropping you when someone else came along, I'd refuse to be picked up again just because it suits herself.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't think you are being over sensitive at all. I used to help an older lady with her shopping did it for well over 5 years, when her son met me at the door one day said he was living there now and I was no longer needed I was miffed too. I think sometimes people take us who help them rather for granted. They forget we have families and are helping them for free !

I think the same as Julie,Nicol,...I have to say though,..I used to look after a neighbours dog,when they went away,it started off,just now and again,then ended up every week,...I also used to walk with my dog,and a friend,it was always when it suited her,..these days I commit to no one!...it seldom works after a while.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:50 PM

I know I may sound a grumpy sod (has I have been told on many occasions,) but personally if this happened to me I would stop going out of my way to please her.
Stick to your own times that suits you.
Just wash it off as a lesson learnt, you know now exactly what she is like.
When I walk my dog I do it with the intention of being on my own,but I always come across a few lady walkers that are going my way and they walk along with me, chattering away to each other.
Some days I slow down and let them pass hoping they will just leave me.
I need to rest more in the cold mornings because my lungs don't work so well in the cold damp air.
They know this and over the years they have become accustomed to me lagging along behind and usually stop and wait.
At first I found it most annoying that I was stopping them from getting along on their daily walks.
But when I mentioned it to them that they need not stop and wait they called me a grumpy sod and just laughed.
They have become great friends but what I am trying to say is that we all know that we do not need each other whilst walking.
But still do and if one or two do not turn up one morning or decides to walk a little later in the day that is no problem.
We do text each other only to say if we will be there just to let each other know we are ok.
After all we have our dogs to talk to don't we,so we don't really need people.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:53 PM

Don't fret Nicol, you stated that it was becoming inconvenient for, so look at it as a blessing. You can now walk when you want, just wave if you see them.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by roxy ->
i would be hacked off good style, And tomorrow i would go back to my own routine with no feelings of guilt at all. If she says anything when she next sees you then tell her how you feel and to hell with her feelings. Sorry if that sounds cruel but she's playing you, dropping you when someone else came along, i'd refuse to be picked up again just because it suits herself.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I would be hacked off good style, and tomorrow I would go back to my own routine with no feelings of guilt at all. If she says anything when she next sees you then tell her how you feel and to hell with her feelings. Sorry if that sounds cruel but she's playing you, dropping you when someone else came along, I'd refuse to be picked up again just because it suits herself.
I completely agree with this.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I need some mature opnions please!

There's an older woman (she's 78) walks her dog in the same place I walk mine in the mornings, ie: The lake. She has told me that she's nervous about walking round there on her own (the paths are uneven) in case she falls over and can't get back up.

I told her as long as I knew what time she would be there I would make sure I'm there at the same time and that I'd walk round with her. She was very pleased when I said this and it has been working well for a while now.

Over Christmas she's been coming out about 45 minutes later than normal which has meant me doing the same, not entirely convenient for me but I don't want to let her down so I've carried on doing it.

This morning we met as normal but half way round the lake one of her other friends appeared coming the other way. She said "Oh look, there's X, I'll turn round and walk back with her, see you, bye".

I am a little bit miffed about this, it's like I was dismissed. But I can't work out if maybe I'm being over sensitive.

What do you think?
Nope you are not .
Rude old bat .
You have been kind and accommodating .
People like that get right up my nose .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top