Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Vietnam

What was the war about? Who won? What did it achieve?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 08:05 AM

Re: Vietnam

Thousands of innocents killed and maimed and I'm sure many got rich from it like all wars
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 08:49 AM

It was as a result of the Americans (once again) sticking their noses into other people's business.

In essence it was raw fear on the part of Big Business that communism had more to offer people in the third world but also increasingly at home than capitalism American style.

The political situation in Vietnam was beyond tense as the people in the communist north were fighting the capitalists in the south and winning. As a result the good 'ol USA decided they would "help" despite numerically the northern nationalists exceeded the population in the south. Obviously communist neighbors then stepped in to help the north.

So in they went. The killed killed killed --- and lost.

America is very good at three things in matters such as this.

#1 Sticking their noses into other people's business when it is to their advantage.

#2 Starting wars offshore when it is to their advantage.

#3 Losing the wars they start.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 08:50 AM

And our veterans are still suffering from the effects of Agent Orange if they haven't already died. How on earth did Australia and New Zealand get conned into that?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 08:57 AM

The Vietnam War had it's roots in previous conflicts in Indo China involving the Viet Minh, precursor to the Viet Cong and colonial power France. NOrth Vietnam had become communist and the US rationale for involvement was because it believed in the domino theory. That is, China had already become communist and the US believed that other nations would fall to communism and fall one by one like dominos. IT started with the US supply arms, military and intelligence support to the South Vietnam regime. The US became directly involved when the North started to encroach south with incursions by the Guerilla army of the Viet Cong followed by the NVA - NOrth Vietnamese Army. It was ostensibly a civil war. The US or it's allies never formally declared war on North Vietnam. Australia and New Zealand became involved as they are US allies under the ANZUS treaty. Despite years of death and misery, the North finally gained control of the whole country and the US withdrew in 1975.THere is a very good synopsis on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War

All wars are filthy and obscene but Vietnam took the cake. THere have been many books written about it. Many films and documentaries. Take your pick.

This is just one casualty list and apart from North VIetnam it's just military.

United States
Approx 58,000 Killed , wounded or missing

South Vietnam
250,000 killed, wounded or missing

North Vietnam
1.1 million military
1.2 2 million civilians
Australia
• 426 killed in action, 74 died of other causes[95]
• 3,129 wounded[95]
• 6 missing in action (all accounted for and repatriated)[96]
New Zealand
• 37 killed in action plus 2 civilians[98][99]
• 187 wounded
Philippines
• 9 killed in action[100]
• 64 wounded[100]
Thailand
• 351 killed in action[94][97]
• 1,358 wounded
People's Republic of China
• 1,446 killed in action[101]
Soviet Union
• ~16[102]
Great Britain
• ~1[citation needed]
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 09:40 AM

Vietnam was just something I heard on the News every day when I was a kid. I never really took much notice of it. All i know is that lots of people died (obviously) and there was that picture of the burning child.

The Napalm girl:

Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
What was the war about? Who won? What did it achieve?
It’s over, you missed it...and there has been 45 years of books, films and critical analysis...where have you been?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
It’s over, you missed it...and there has been 45 years of books, films and critical analysis...where have you been?
What makes you think I missed it??
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Vietnam Protesters Clash with Police in Grosvenor Square, London (1969)

I was against US intervention in Vietnam so I was there in Grosvenor Square .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 02:55 PM

I remember this word on the news all the time when i was a small child. I had no idea what it meant but i knew it wasn't a good thing.

I've studied the history. It was a shocking example of ego taking over from logic. After you get to a certain point of failure it is difficult to admit you were wrong. Particularly when you want to beca hero in the eyes of the world. So the US carried on.

It was all about money. The "domino effect" was the original project fear. They didn't reckon on the resourcefulness of the viet cong.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top