Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 01:22 PM

Re: Extinction?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
No Annie, definitely not 'Destructive'.....
Look around you at what humans have built and achieved. Buildings, warm in the winter and cool in the summer, Aircraft fill the skies and can transport you anywhere in the world in just one day. A vehicle providing personal freedom for everybody old enough to hold a licence. Technology that can communicate with friends and family at the other side of the world.....The list is endless, and up to around one hundred years ago was science fiction. We have progressed further in the last hundred years than in the previous 4 Million....

Was it destructive when early explorers cut down a tree and fashioned a boat that would sail the oceans?
The human race is creative, inventive, constructive and progressive Annie....
As you have rightly pointed out 'A very Successful Species' in fact.....The most successful species this planet has ever seen.....But it is this inventiveness that will be our own demise...

And what right have we got to tell others not to benefit from the progress and comfort that man has developed, invented or constructed? When we ourselves benefit from all these things.....Truth is Annie, we are all in it together, and the establishment will sort itself out, and we might not like the solution....Which is first convincing you and me that we are destructive and being responsible for climate change.

I think the jury is still out on the success or otherwise of the human
race OGF?
If you judge success by how long a species has existed , which is
probably the biological definition of success? Then humans are by
no means the most successful species to exist, even the humble
crocodile outlasts us by a wide margin!
And the long extinct dinosaurs were in existence for a couple of
hundred million years longer than we have presently been in
existence. And it is thought that they departed through no fault
of their own?
I think our survival, and thus our success, will be ensured not by
technical progress but by a philosophical shift in our outlook?

Regards Donkeyman!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 02:21 PM

I wonder if humans would have survived alongside dinosaurs.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
If the human race went extinct, would it be the end of the
universe???

Regards Donkeyman!
Surely, the Brexiteers will be spread all over the Universe.

Only the Remainers would be wiped out!

(On this planet)

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Doubt it..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 04:56 PM

OGF it depends on how you define "success" and "progress".

Let's put aside the climate change debate. We do horrible things to each other and horrible things to animals. What do all our inventions and ideas matter when we have not learned to be kind to each other and to the life around us? We would not be missed. Are our inventions needed by the planet without us?
The media these days makes us all very paranoid Annie....
Only the bad stuff is reported mainly because it attracts readers...
But concerning the human race, I believe that at least 99% are good people, certainly the 99% that I come into contact with, and the 1% are blown out of all proportion giving a very distorted view of mankind.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think the jury is still out on the success or otherwise of the human
race OGF?

If you judge success by how long a species has existed , which is
probably the biological definition of success? Then humans are by
no means the most successful species to exist, even the humble
crocodile outlasts us by a wide margin!
And the long extinct dinosaurs were in existence for a couple of
hundred million years longer than we have presently been in
existence. And it is thought that they departed through no fault
of their own?
I think our survival, and thus our success, will be ensured not by
technical progress but by a philosophical shift in our outlook?

Regards Donkeyman!
Success is not judged by longevity alone Donkeyman....
We are the most intelligent, resourceful and adaptable species that has ever walked on this planet (as far as I know) and we have utilised the gifts that this planet has to offer with amazing results. But, the human body is the most fragile of all life and has had to be innovative for survival. Our skin has to be protected from heat, cold and UV rays and we have had to adapt through knowledge and invention and this is what makes us the most successful species....

The dinosaurs may have survived longer that we will, but you've got to admit, we will have done more living in one lifetime than the dinosaurs did in a couple of million years....Quality of life Donkeyman....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-11-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Doubt it..
I wouldn't doubt it for one minute.....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 05:34 PM

We are the most intelligent, resourceful and adaptable species that has ever walked on this planet (as far as I know) and we have utilised the gifts that this planet has to offer with amazing results. But, the human body is the most fragile of all life and has had to be innovative for survival. Our skin has to be protected from heat, cold and UV rays and we have had to adapt through knowledge and invention and this is what makes us the most successful species....

The dinosaurs may have survived longer that we will, but you've got to admit, we will have done more living in one lifetime than the dinosaurs did in a couple of million years....Quality of life Donkeyman....
I wonder what would have happened if we had continued without clothes.

Maybe we would have become hairy (some already did) and develop to take care of the conditions.

Would have been bad for the clothing industry though.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 06:56 PM

The media these days makes us all very paranoid Annie....
Only the bad stuff is reported mainly because it attracts readers...
But concerning the human race, I believe that at least 99% are good people, certainly the 99% that I come into contact with, and the 1% are blown out of all proportion giving a very distorted view of mankind.....
OGF I haven't been reading anything. I have been coming to this conclusion the last few years.

there really are poachers killing beautiful elephants for their tusks. There really are animals being terribly abused by owners who don't care about their welfare. There really are people being tortured somewhere right now and raped and murdered. Millions of people around the world are being cruel right this second. Either by action or their behaviour.

There is no such thing as good or bad, these are human interpretations of our environment based on the way we are programmed. We are all capable of anything given the right situation.

We think we are doing a good thing but our natures allow us to accept other things and turn a blind eye to cruelty where we deem that to be acceptable. It goes through the very fibre of our civilisation.

Our relationship with animals is one that sums it up. Wild animals flee when they see us because they know that 1% of us may be kind but the rest just want to kill them. They can't tell the difference and those they trust can just as easily turn around and hurt them.

Without a strong ethical framework we can turn into savages. I don't know what the ethical framework is these days because it does appear to be crumbling worldwide.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 12:08 PM

I cant agree entirely with your view of the human race OGF,
I will agree that we qualify as successful on one score though and
that is on our breeding ability?
Unfortunately this is leading to degradation of the very enviroment
we are so clever at exploiting to our advantage?
Our growth in all aspects is becoming and has become exponential!
This obviously cannot continue in a finite enviroment, as can be
seen from the way at least 60% of humans have to live at present,
such as in refugee camps, squatter camps, on rubbish tips ets?
Even in UK the average life quality has started to deteriorate!
Inequality worldwide is increasing as the more fortunate among
us take steps to ensure we do not fall behind!
If we are so intelligent then surely we could see that the present
trajectory of the human race is unsustainable?
Sorry to be so pessimistic about the human race but if we look
outside our own particular bubble it is difficult not to be!
Regards Donkeyman!

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top