Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2013, 06:30 PM

Re: What was the scariest book, or the one that made the biggest impression?

I read 'The Devil Rides Out' when in my teens, along with all Wheatleys' other books, which although I found a bit scary at the time, are considerably less scary nowadays when compared with other horror stuff.

I love Armistead's Tales of the City series, both as books and t.v. series, I had no idea he had written a scary book, will have to look out for that one.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 06:43 PM

Never mind the book The Devil Rides Out being scary, the film did it for me!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 07:10 PM

I don't know where to start there are so many...

Scariest book... Susan Hills 'The Woman in Black'

One book that left an impression for a long time was
The Flowers Of The Field by Sarah Harrison, a graphic portrait of WW1

As a child Anna Sewells Black Beauty, Kingsley's The Water Babies and Brontes Jane Eyre all affected me greatly for various reasons.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Perfect People - Peter James, disturbing, about genetics. Before I Go To Sleep - S.J.Watson, I'm reading at the mo, about a woman with amnesia.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 10:39 PM

I'm a horror fan myself and nothing I have ever read or seen on the screen scared me as much as 'The Exorcist', I really do think some very evil people are possessed by something not of this world, something completely alien to human nature.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 10:06 AM

I've also been a horror and sci-fi fan since about the age of 15 and my first horror book was by Dennis Wheatley and it frightened and hooked me on that genre (I suppose that's the sign of a good writer).

Of late, the only writer that has managed to make me feel uncomfortable about the scenarios is Neil Gaiman - probably because they're a bit too close to a society I recognise!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Perfect People - Peter James, disturbing, about genetics. Before I Go To Sleep - S.J.Watson, I'm reading at the mo, about a woman with amnesia.
Did you know that this is being made into a film even as we speak? With Kidman in the lead role?
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

08-04-2013, 11:24 AM

The Bible is the scariest book if you believe it to be literally true. The deity featured in it is the worst monster ever created.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2013, 05:18 AM

I also like The Devil Rides Out, A few years ago I got it in Audio Form and made the mistake of taking the wee player to bed with me (as I was on my own that night) I scared myself silly at the noises the old house made settling for the night..Also that was the night I'd not shut the kitchen door properly and those blooming Sheepdogs decided to creep out and sneak into the bedroom (hoping I wouldn't notice) I almost fainted when the bedroom door swung quietly open, jeezzzze
I listened to the rest during the day.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2013, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Did you know that this is being made into a film even as we speak? With Kidman in the lead role?
Which one? I can imagine Kidman in the amnesia one. I found the author forgot that the character Christine could only remember the day she was in. A few times she said she remembered things that were days before. Must have been difficult to write!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top