Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 05:55 PM

Childrens book illustrations

I have always had an interest in children’s book illustrations. I was manager of a book shop for 3 years, 1973 -1976.
A lot of the pics were mundane, but there were exceptions.

I particularly liked the marvellous work of the twins Janette & Anne Graham Johnson. They were a class of their own& had a very interesting life, one dying tragically years before her sister
Alan Aldridge produced marvellous pics for “Ann in the Moon”, but never seemed to want to follow it up.
Of course, I enjoyed the old favourites, Mabel Lucy Atwell & Beatrix Potter. I was pleased to see the VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR is still a favourite.
What do you think of children’s books,? Will the internet obliterate them.
Ladybird books are much sought after (in good condiion) old ones with dust covers fetch even more. These old ones were 2/6 & don’t try to tell me they’re before your time.
“ Observer” books, I spy books. I lament their demise
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 05:59 PM

Re: Childrens book illustrations

The internet wont obliterate them RJ - can get loads of books via the internet ....
The artwork was very good - a nice way to make a living dont ya think ....
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 06:22 PM

No Robert the internet will do no harm, at least for many more years to come...especially for the very young. Toddlers love a book and love looking at the pictures while nanna reads to them.
My youngest grandson is an avid reader and 'marched' through the Horrid Henry series.
Though I see you can read it on line now

I hadn't thought about the illustrators before but you are right, there are some wonderful artists illustrating kids books.
I might draw attention to this fact, with my eldest granddaughter .. she is very keen on drawing, and is now into pastels and watercolours.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 06:28 PM

Of the new ones I like the Jean Donaldson books illustrations like 'Room on the Broom' and the Gruffalow My grandchildren love them.

Who could fail to remember the Arthur Rackham illustrations for AA Milne and Kenneth Grahame
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 06:32 PM

Theres nothing like a family member reading a story to you as a child ....
It cannot be substituted - long may it continue ....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 06:35 PM

Robert I have this old book by Jane Gale Thomas upstairs described here ..

http://picturesfromanoldbook.blogspo...-thomas_7.html

I am no longer religious but love this little book with its simple illustrations...

It is an Alphabet book, this is A is for Angel

I still know all the little poems off by heart...
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Of the new ones I like the Jean Donaldson books illustrations like 'Room on the Broom' and the Gruffalow My grandchildren love them.

Who could fail to remember the Arthur Rackham illustrations for AA Milne and Kenneth Grahame
Room on the Broom, is the one with the witch, I believe?
And I looked at the link, Meg. As it says, each picture would make a lovely christmas card.

Yes, Pat .. you can't beat reading to your grandchildren
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 12:16 AM

"Song of Celestine" has lovely artwork so has "Our Cat Flossie" we often buy a book for the pictures, we have a Book Barn near us, very cheap second hand books. I'm looking for a book by Brian Froud called "Master Snickups Cloak" (it's a bit Tim Burton-ish)has great illustrations and lovely words in it like "unctuous cheese-gobbling fatpants" Don't you just love the smell of books! You can't get the feel or smell on technology!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

30-12-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Room on the Broom, is the one with the witch, I believe?
And I looked at the link, Meg. As it says, each picture would make a lovely christmas card.

Yes, Pat .. you can't beat reading to your grandchildren
Yes Janela it is for very young children...

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webap...FSKWtAodtnAAcw
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

30-12-2013, 10:37 AM

Yes, that's the one Meg

We grandparents do a lot to help educate the kiddies, make life fun and leave lots of good memories.

My (nearly 14) granddaughter was hunting through the books last week, looking for a book that I used to read to her .. we didn't find it, but she remembered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top