Join for free
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2014, 02:10 AM

Free book downloads

Just discovered this site, have myself downloaded the three 'Divergent' books. There is a huge selection. Just passing on info.

Posted this then realised had forgotten to put in the name, doh!

Scribd
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2014, 03:25 AM

Re: Free book downloads

Good info thanks.

For those that weren't aware probably the largest source of free ebooks is the Project Gutenberg

One site that may interest the UK is The University of Adelaide where you can get books still under copyright in the UK but not in Australia (eg George Orwell)

If you are unfortunate enough to have bought a Kindle and hence tied to Amazon for your book supply then a book management program like Calibre will free you from its bonds. Calibre will also convert other formats to suit your particular ereader.

Word of warning don't run the Kindle book manager at the same time as Calibre because they use the same database so a conflict and disaster may occur - using one or other at a time is fine just not running together. BTW that applies to any ereader not just Kindle.

If you want free audio books then LibreVox might interest you.

Older but might come in handy:

http://blog.text2go.com/2008/01/04/the-top-13-drm-free-ebook-sites/
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2014, 06:54 AM

Scribd is a subscription service at some point they will ask for your bank details and start charging a monthly fee. I will stick to amazon kindle as the number of free books there will easily see me to the end of my life I think.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Scribd is a subscription service at some point they will ask for your bank details and start charging a monthly fee. I will stick to amazon kindle as the number of free books there will easily see me to the end of my life I think.
I don't have an actual Kindle EReader but I do download books onto my phone. Before I knew it I had 107 mostly free eBooks in my archive, so I know what you mean I wonder if I ever will get them all read since I keep downloading the odd one here & there but hard to find the time to read, especially now being on this bl**dy forum so much! Ha ha, just joshing.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I came across it after seeing the film divergence, and I had a theory about where it was all leading. Looked up the books, found the first and second online but could not find the third. Then, I think it was on Ask, people suggested Scribd, so got the third there. To be honest they do not appear to carry many of the sort of books I prefer (horror, sci fi, fantasy and detective) so after reading the third will probably not go back. I have found too that the free Amazon books are generally 'back numbers' or the sort you used to find in bins at Smiths.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
I came across it after seeing the film divergence, and I had a theory about where it was all leading. Looked up the books, found the first and second online but could not find the third. Then, I think it was on Ask, people suggested Scribd, so got the third there. To be honest they do not appear to carry many of the sort of books I prefer (horror, sci fi, fantasy and detective) so after reading the third will probably not go back. I have found too that the free Amazon books are generally 'back numbers' or the sort you used to find in bins at Smiths.
I read quite a lot of new authors some are excellent some not so good but as they are free if I abandon a book part way through nothing lost. Classics and scifi from the best era for sci fi.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 10:21 AM

I too read quite a lot of books and I down load mine from Google Play I always go for the free ones first and then look at the books under £2.

I read lots of authors I would not normally go for and usually find that they are good.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top