Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:19 AM

83,000 illegal immigrants claim asylum in UK by escaping deportation AFTER being caug

http://www.over50sforum.com/newthrea...newthread&f=72

THOUSANDS of illegal immigrants are escaping deportation from the UK by claiming asylum AFTER they are caught.

More than 83,000 foreigners have claimed asylum in the last 10 years after being detected by immigration officers.

Almost a quarter – nearly 20,000 - have been granted asylum or granted some other form of permission to stay in the UK.

According to Home Office figures just 23,000 of those caught have been successfully removed from the country.

The fact that they claimed asylum only after being detected has called into question the legitimacy of their claims and there have been calls on the Home Office to investigate.

Lord Andrew Green of Deddington, who asked for the figures through a written question, said: “It is very important to look at the outcome of the asylum system in the round. Not many people realise that, on average over the past 10 years, nearly half of all those who have claimed asylum have only done so when their presence in Britain was discovered.

“This suggests that at least one of their original motives was economic migration. Indeed only a quarter of them were eventually granted asylum.

“Unfortunately only another quarter were successfully removed. I suppose this could add this means roughly half are likely to have stayed on illegally."

Labour MP Frank Field has previously called for a crackdown on immigration, claiming that those who apply for asylum only after they are caught are trying to fiddle the system.

The former welfare reform minister said in 2013: “It is an obvious fiddle that I am sure the Home Secretary will want to look at.

“You are either here for one reason or the other. You can’t be both.”

He added: “If people want to claim asylum, they should claim it straight away.”

Sir Andrew Green, chairman of campaign group MigrationWatch, who uncovered the recent figures, also questioned the motive of those claiming asylum after being caught.

“If someone doesn’t claim asylum until they are detected, you wonder how strong their case really is,” he said.

Separate Home Office figures also show that more than 15,000 individuals who entered Britain on a student visa subsequently went on to claim asylum.

Students from Pakistan (4,486), Sri Lanka (3,997), and Iran (1,269) were among the worst offenders over the last five years.

The Government said failing to claim asylum at the earliest opportunity is taken into account when assessing a claim, but some may have a genuine fear of prosecution.

The Home Office declined to comment.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:48 AM

Re: 83,000 illegal immigrants claim asylum in UK by escaping deportation AFTER being caug

Hi

Exactly what I have been saying and it will not change if we do leave the EU, we will continue to be a joke.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:02 AM

Re: 83,000 illegal immigrants claim asylum in UK by escaping deportation AFTER being caug

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Exactly what I have been saying and it will not change if we do leave the EU, we will continue to be a joke.
I agree with you. I don´t think people are seeing the realities of what will happen if UK comes out of the EU, certainly at the present time. The only difference it will make regarding immigrants is that even more will be able to get in, even more who are in on student visas etc will be staying because there simply won´t be the man power to deal with removing them, big companies who are in UK simply because it´s a gateway to European trading will up sticks and go elsewhere leaving many thousands jobless. The knock on effects could be catastrophic. It´s easy to blame the EU for everything, but what other country in the EU gives illegal immigrants, economic migrants etc the same benefits as the UK? The answer to that is none, at least none that I know of. Most countries remove their "undesirables" one way or another, but the UK not only doesn´t remove them, it carries on letting them do just what they want, and EU or no EU that is not going to change.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:39 AM

This is another of those 'moral dilemmas'. If I lived in a country where it was an almighty struggle to stay alive, either through war or starvation, I would want to get the hell out of there and find somewhere more favourable to live even if it meant breaking the law. The would-be immigrants have learned to live by their wits not by observing the law of the land !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top