Join for free
Les
Belfast - Northern Ireland
Les is male  Les has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Travel Insurance

A significant number of over 50s are being held back from going on holiday due to difficulties with getting suitable travel insurance, new research from Lloyds TSB has found.

The firm found that a little more than a quarter (26%) of over 50s have experienced travel insurance issues, with a variety of different factors causing these difficulties. 15% were refused cover due to an existing illness or injury, a figure which rises to 16% for the over 60s. I have seen at first hand just how difficult it can be – my own father underwent a couple of complex medical procedures last year, and I know that it was far from easy arranging cover for their recent holidays.

Around 11% of over 50s have had their applications for insurance turned down due to their age, rising to 16% for those over 60.

The trouble is that for many over 50s, this is the stage in their life when they are finally free to do a bit of travelling. The kids have left home (hopefully) and they have a little cash in their pocket. But suddenly travelling the word is logistically problematic.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2011, 02:38 PM

Re: Travel Insurance

Les, if you have any sort of medical problems, I'd forget about travelling abroad. Travel Insurance is a joke, just another ripoff, combined with Luggage restrictions, Airport Fuel Tax Surcharges, Transfers, etc. I for one believe enough is enough, and intend to stop in the UK for breaks, and give two fingers to Ryanair, Easyjet, and all the rest of the greedy travel Companies.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

24-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Re: Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by John ->
Les, if you have any sort of medical problems, I'd forget about travelling abroad. Travel Insurance is a joke, just another ripoff, combined with Luggage restrictions, Airport Fuel Tax Surcharges, Transfers, etc. I for one believe enough is enough, and intend to stop in the UK for breaks, and give two fingers to Ryanair, Easyjet, and all the rest of the greedy travel Companies.
Very sadly so right John, I recently tried to sort all this out with a travel agent. Oh yes the trip of a lifetime was easy to arrange until we got to the nitty, gritty. The office operative, ( like the old bill )appear to get younger than ever, seemed to be out on the strength of his first shave was doing ok until I started reading out my probable cause of death ailments. He gave the longest, sharp intake of breath behind clenched teeth that I think I have ever heard.
Suffice it to say, the garden seat looks good this year

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top