Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 06:56 AM

Melting pot banned

Funny I always thought it was anti racist .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...-Pot-2019.html
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 07:12 AM

Re: Melting pot banned

Unbelievable! One of my favourite singles back in the day.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 07:18 AM

Stupidity Rules !!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 07:46 AM

Most anti-racist song ever sung.

What we need is a great big melting pot.
Big enough to take all the PC wallies the lot.
Then we can stir it for a hundred years or more,
Then turn out coffee coloured people by the score.

They banned gollywogs but you can still buy them in Southend.
Don't think any bugger takes any notice to these plonkers these days if its not one thing its another.

Seriously how can they ban a tune that as sold millions since the day it was released in 1970.
Checkout the first line, it puts me in mind of Harry and Megs.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 08:03 AM

More of the same old, same old rubbish. I really do wonder at the mentality of some who make these ridiculous decisions!

I believe this 'protection against racism' all started with a London show entitled 'The Black and White Minstrel Show', their 'blacking-up' for the show was banned as it was considered 'racist'. Believe it or not that show was on the BBC for 20 years until branded as 'racist'!

https://www.thebritishacademy.ac.uk/...w-20-years-bbc

Does anyone else recall anything earlier I wonder?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->

They banned gollywogs but you can still buy them in Southend.
You can still buy them in most places - but - you are not allowed to call them gollywogs - they are just Gollys now!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
You can still buy them in most places - but - you are not allowed to call them gollywogs - they are just Gollys now!

Good Golly I never knew that..
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:29 AM

It's the use of the word "Chinkees" (sic) that's considered no-go in this day & age. I think it's been taken out of context, it rhymes with "Latin kinkies".

BTW ... Melting Pot has not been banned, as the title suggests.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Makes me so cross. They can do what they want - it won't stop me and many others loving and playing this song. It's a classic of it's day. Some people are so precious, squealing foul at every opportunity Ggrrrr….. I don't want to see everything whitewashed and sanitised into oblivion. Do they want us all to look the same and think the same ? Ggrrr…. It'll never happen.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:52 AM

One place refusing to play it is hardly a ban but as someone said it's one word that is the problem and I think on balance it's right not to play it unless they can remove that word.
It's one of a long line of records not being played on various radio shows as Cliff Richard would tell you, BBC banned his music years ago.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top