Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 08:37 PM

Vaccum sealers!

Do any of you have/use one of these?

I recently bought one as a friend recommended it for food storage in freezer or refrigerator. Am so disappointed with it - am going to pack it up and send it back. It will seal - but will not 'vacuum' out the air. Obviously it supposed to heat at some point as there is a 'hot' warning inside the lid - so far it has not even reached warm! The one I bought is an "Andrew James" model.

Can anyone suggest another brand - or - am I completely wasting my time?
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 08:43 PM

Re: Vaccum sealers!

I have recently purchased an Andrew James kettle and toaster and am very pleased with them. The kettle is quiet and quick and the toaster does a good job too.

I have never owned a vacuum sealer but would you consider 'phoning their Customer Service Dept in case they can look into the problem for you?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
I have recently purchased an Andrew James kettle and toaster and am very pleased with them. The kettle is quiet and quick and the toaster does a good job too.

I have never owned a vacuum sealer but would you consider 'phoning their Customer Service Dept in case they can look into the problem for you?
Will do that tomorrow - when they open again. Was looking forward to playing with my new toy!
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 08:52 PM

Hope it works out for you - they seem to be all the rage just now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 08:59 PM

Hi ST if you go to Amazon and put in the model of vacuum sealer you have then go to questions and answers you might find some suggestions to help you.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

05-09-2019, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi ST if you go to Amazon and put in the model of vacuum sealer you have then go to questions and answers you might find some suggestions to help you.
Good thinking, Meg, I'll do that now! Thank you.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:26 PM

can't you just put the food in a self sealing bag and close it for all bit a small part. Next put your mouth over the small hole left and suck like mad and seal at the same time

works well when kissing anyway
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland

05-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Muah, muah - goodnight all.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 10:05 PM

If you send it back, Tabby, Lakeland do some you might want to have a look at? This particular one sucks out the air for you as well.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/31950/Foo...-Sealer-FFS015

About 20 years ago when I milked my goats, I used to freeze surplus milk and it only took a second to seal. The thing got warm, and I just pulled a the top bit down and in a few seconds it sealed the bags beautifully.
Like Meg said, looking through the reviews and Q & A is a good idea too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

05-09-2019, 10:11 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. But I think I have found out what was wrong - too much liquid! I was trying to vacuum pack some runner beans which I had chopped, blanched and drained. Obviously there was still enough liquid to upset the machine so it wouldn't/couldn't seal.

I left them spread out on a sheet of kitchen roll to dry out a bit longer - tried again - perfect seal!

Snap Dragon to Happy Bunny in 5 seconds flat!

Nothing will be safe now - look out cats!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top