Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 11:18 PM

Re: Tinned/Packet Food

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I can live on simple things like eggs , baked beans on toast , baked potatoes , soup , and take a multivitamin if necessary .
Yep us as well, in the Winter months I always have a big pot of home made soup on the stove. Serve it over some boiled potatoes and your stuffed after one big plateful.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 07:27 AM

I tend to batch cook things like Cottage Pie, Soup, Stew etc., One portion to eat + two or three for the freezer. Friends drop in unannounced and expect to be fed! Also I keep a good store of staples - packets of barley, lentils, split peas; tins of kidney beans, butter beans, baked beans, tuna; and always have in eggs, potatoes, and the ingredients for making bread and pasta.

If the worst came to the worst I am good at foraging!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I tend to batch cook things like Cottage Pie, Soup, Stew etc., One portion to eat + two or three for the freezer. Friends drop in unannounced and expect to be fed! Also I keep a good store of staples - packets of barley, lentils, split peas; tins of kidney beans, butter beans, baked beans, tuna; and always have in eggs, potatoes, and the ingredients for making bread and pasta.

If the worst came to the worst I am good at foraging!
I bulk cook for my dad now. I was cooking everyday but just recently when I went on holiday I bulk cooked and now I m going to do that in future.

I too always keep in pearl barley and lentils as I make lots of stews and soups.

I always have eggs and potatoes in too. Mmmm egg and chips, one of my favourite meals.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 09:23 AM

I only bulk cook one thing ... mince & onions

Used for ... a type of chilli con carne, spag bol, cottage pie ...

I do enough for a couple of months, using one a week.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Food shortages:
Remainers will struggle to obtain their pampered elite staples like quinoa, sourdough, and milk. Brexiters can continue to enjoy honest staples like Fray Bentos pies, tins of all-day breakfast and Ben Shaws cherryade without fear of rationing.
It's mostly Project Fear LT to try and make people vote against No Deal BrExit if they get a 2nd referendum. Don't fall for it.

Regardless you should have been prepping for national disruption very long before now anyway. A last minute mad panic is not the way imho.

Sourdough bread is very easy to make. Takes 15mins of your personal time. I make about 2 loaves a week by hand and they are nutritious and delicious. Go learn to make bread (esp sourdoughs) at one of the many weekend baking schools around the country.

Of course you will need flour to make bread and flour only lasts a limited time before it loses it's uumph. Still many months though.

By far the best thing to do is buy grains (wheat, spelt, rye etc) and then buy a grain mill which grinds those grains into flour instantly. That way you get the freshest flour and all teh nutrition. Grains will last years and years vaccumm packed. One of the best long term food storage options to get in place.

Also buy plenty of dry pasta in different shapes. That lasts a long time too. Plus various dried beans and pulses which can be thrown into soups and stews.

Plenty of tins or jars of passata or chopped tomatoes. Very versatile. You can use them for pasta dishes or chilli's or spag bol and so on.

Have you planned anything in terms of vegetables? You will not do your health any favours if all you are eating is tinned crapola.

You should be buying extra veg now whilst it is in season and blanching and freezing it. Broad beans will be nearing the end of the season. Gte as many as you can and freeze them for winter. Do the same for parsnips, butternut squash, runner beans, and all manner of other veg. Then you'll still be able to make meals with good nutrition.

There are far wider considerations too.

If there is nationwide disruption the utilities could be affected. Suppose the electricity grid is off for a significant period of time. Could you cope?

Could you even make yourself a cup of tea or coffee? Or is the only kettle you have an electric one? You can get a gas hob kettle for pennies.

If the water supply is disrupted from say local flooding and pipe bursts could you manage? Do you have any method at all of turning dirty water into clean drinkable water? That's the No 1 priority for any disaster planning. No water, you die within 2 to 3 days simple as or in desperation start drinking contaminated water and then die of chollera or dysentry or other common conditions.

Do you have any cooking implements that are good for use on an open fire? Do you have some kind of fireplace in your garden? A BBQ or firepit that you could cook on if say the gas and electricity go down?

In the end there is a lot to think through and none of this has anything to do with BrExit. A national disaster could happen any time. Best to be prepared as a matter of course and to get used to living with all of that prepped food on a daily routine basis, rotating the stock as you go.

Check out the various "prepper" sites which offer a multitude of information.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 10:18 AM

There's always McDonald's.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yuk - no, there isn't!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 04:53 PM

You won't believe this Longdogs, but that is what I was going to put this morning and forgot........

Great minds or what......
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Yuk - no, there isn't!
Oh blimey. Are you one of those expensive dates?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Oh blimey. Are you one of those expensive dates?
She's from York......A bit posh....

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top