Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 10:28 PM

Living in France

Always fancied living in France been there a couple of times and liked it.

Has anyone lived there?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:05 PM

Re: Living in France

NOt lived there but travelled a fair bit in France. I reckon it would be as good a place as any to live and I found the people very nice everywhere except Paris. Don't like Paris. Never have and I wouldn't live there for quids.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by sarah kay ->
Always fancied living in France been there a couple of times and liked it.

Has anyone lived there?
We had a house in France once with the intention of living there permanently. Rural France is great if you like almost total seclusion and isolation. In mid France the weather is great in the summer but has equal extremes of freezing weather in the winter........and just when you need it most, the cost of electricity rockets upwards as the temperatures drop.

Very many Brits have gone to France, tempted by the low cost property price. They've sunk every last penny into the doing up their property, decided they don't like that particular dream, or split up, and can't sell the restored house!

In addition..........if you haven't yet retired in the UK and are looking forward to getting your 25% tax free cash from your pension, bear in mind the minute you move to France with the intention of living there, you are taxable............on your previous year's income!!! So retire in the UK; take your 25% tax free cash, then stay in the UK for around two years. Then if you must, move to France.........but rent!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
We had a house in France once with the intention of living there permanently. Rural France is great if you like almost total seclusion and isolation. In mid France the weather is great in the summer but has equal extremes of freezing weather in the winter........and just when you need it most, the cost of electricity rockets upwards as the temperatures drop.

Very many Brits have gone to France, tempted by the low cost property price. They've sunk every last penny into the doing up their property, decided they don't like that particular dream, or split up, and can't sell the restored house!

In addition..........if you haven't yet retired in the UK and are looking forward to getting your 25% tax free cash from your pension, bear in mind the minute you move to France with the intention of living there, you are taxable............on your previous year's income!!! So retire in the UK; take your 25% tax free cash, then stay in the UK for around two years. Then if you must, move to France.........but rent!!
Hi

Unless you were a Government Employee, then different Rules apply.
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:48 PM

very interesting thankyou so maybe holidays are best?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:55 PM

Been to Brittany if that counts. We were staying with friends who lived right out in the country. One day along came the local famer with a tractor. he emptied the human waste from local houses and went straight into a field opposite and spread human waste across the field.

France no thanks you can keep it after seeing that
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Been to Brittany if that counts. We were staying with friends who lived right out in the country. One day along came the local famer with a tractor. he emptied the human waste from local houses and went straight into a field opposite and spread human waste across the field.

France no thanks you can keep it after seeing that
Hi

The same happens here, perfectly legal.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
NOt lived there but travelled a fair bit in France. I reckon it would be as good a place as any to live and I found the people very nice everywhere except Paris. Don't like Paris. Never have and I wouldn't live there for quids.
I agree with that.Awful tourist trap.The Loire Valley would be my choice and I'm not a wine drinker.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The same happens here, perfectly legal.

Is that why they have their own dialect in Shropshire.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 02:17 AM

I have a friend who lives in rural France .
Its lovely but very cold in winter .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top