Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 12:00 PM

Re: Modest or Lavish Wedding

I didn't really have 'a wedding' I got married by special licence in my lunch hour as did my Husband.
No one knew about it only the two witnesses and a colleague of my husband who turned up with a bottle of champagne and a card.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I didn't really have 'a wedding' I got married by special licence in my lunch hour as did my Husband.
No one knew about it only the two witnesses and a colleague of my husband who turned up with a bottle of champagne and a card.

Best way Meg.
I have never liked big do's, even more so now I am older.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 12:20 PM

To me big lavish weddings are a waste of money. I’d rather have a better house than show off and spend the money on OP’s.

In my day, you didn’t have the evening do for the ‘plate lickers’ who are probably miffed at not being invited to the day meal.

I remember at my wedding in 1971 the flowers were only £6 for my, my two sisters bouquets and lots of buttonholes. They were done by a proper florist too.

I think my reception was £130 or thereabouts, there were no discos or bands at weddings then.

My wedding dress l bought in the sale at Selfidges for £38. I still have it my loft in the box it came in.
I remember once when l had been married for a few years, l got the dress out of the loft, put it on, veil and all and walked down to the dinner table where my family were seated. We laughed so much!

Alas, after 30 years the fairytale had ended.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 12:24 PM

My wedding was very quiet, just us and the witnesses. I enjoyed my daughter's wedding though.I was teaching linedance then. She was married in white and then we went onto a club where we'd arranged a really good linedance band. It was a hell of a knees up with all the linedancers. I'll never forget the sight of my daughter and her bridesmaid flinging the bottom of their long dresses over their shoulders to see them both wearing fringed white cowboy boots, they were all set for the dancing. Lots of fellas in kilts linedancing too. How I wish mobile phone cameras had been around then.
The whole thing cost around £500, the band being the most expensive thing.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top