Join for free
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Scaredy cat?

Lying in my bed at around 3am today I heard, in the distance, thunder, sounded like those huge kettle drums in an orchestra. Rumbled for a while then stopped, then again, but this time my youngest moggie (10yrs), jumped onto my bed, pushed right up against me, then insinuated her nose under the edge of my hand, which was outside the covers, and gradually nudged my hand up, until it was resting on (covering) her head. These claps of thunder and following rumbles continued for quite some time, gradually getting nearer, until, wham, with no thunder or lightening there was the most tremendous downpour, buckets! Sounded as if Boris had turned his water cannon on the flats! This stopped for a few seconds, then another downpour, and again, went on for about fifteen minutes intermittently. All the while she was glued to my side, head tight under my hand. Just as suddenly as the rain came, it stopped, and the thunder returned, gradually moving away. And she did not jump down until it had gone.

She has never behaved like this, ever, so why? Was she covering her eyes and ears and cuddling close because she was afraid? Or did she think maybe that I was?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2014, 01:53 PM

Re: Scaredy cat?

Maybe a little of both !
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2014, 02:58 PM

I think both too
Cats and most animals are sensitive to the pressure of a storm.
I know too when a storm is coming well before it arrives as I
get a funny headache. That doesn't go until the pressure has
gone and the thunderstorm has moved on.
So if I can feel it I am sure a animal with still having their
ancient feelings for survival can feel it hundred times more.
Bless her and how lovely that she trusts and loves you enough
for you to hug her and keep her safe.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2014, 09:40 PM

Mine all knew it was coming mid evening. It hadn't even been forecast, as I didn't expect it until tomorrow. They knew. The old girl 14.5 was puffing and panting although she doesn't get overly distressed, fortunately.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 10:09 AM

I think animals can sense the changes in air pressure faster and more accurately than the Met Office !!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 04:57 PM

You know what Coco is not scared of anything, thunder, lightening, fireworks, big bangs, she absolutely loves Fireworks Day, I have to sit her on the windowseal and sit with her for 1 hr. while she watches the Display.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top