Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 05:33 PM

Re: Medical Research.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I wonder what medical research means. Are these the bodies that medical students practice on?

I knew someone who carried out research in an organ donation lab. He said he would never donate his organs.

Exactly, Annie.
People kindly donate their bodies 'assuming' they are used for good causes, like cancer research etc , but most people haven't a clue what they are participating in.
It might be a practice they strongly disagree with if they had known.

I read many years ago about goats having udders grafted on to the side of their necks to see if the udder would still produce milk! Why?

Pigs livers are transplanted into humans. Do the animals willingly donate their organs? How would you feel if it were the other way round, and our liver was whipped out and sewn into a pig for an experiment?

I firmly believe many what I would call 'macabre' practices go on in laboratories that the puiblic know nothing about.

I think we should have to be told what research and organs are needed, and then asked to perhaps tick a box to say which research we would like to donate to.
Give people more information and then we can make an informed decision whether we wish to contribute or not.

As it is now, people just contribute knowing absolutely nothing. They just assume it is for a worthy cause.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
If that was the deceased's wishes then that should be all that matters.

Yes, I do agree their wishes should be honoured Barry, but as I have just said, I think we should be able to choose which research we would like to assist with.
There could be horrific experiments going on, which I would not want any part of had I known.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I do agree their wishes should be honoured Barry, but as I have just said, I think we should be able to choose which research we would like to assist with.
There could be horrific experiments going on, which I would not want any part of had I known.
But if they are dead already how do you broach this topic without horrifying the relatives or person in charge ?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 05:39 PM

I would do just about anything to end using mammals in research so here - take my worn out body and do whatever.

There isn't one of us who hasn't benefitted from someone else's donation so I would be more than happy to pass on the (old) torch.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-02-2019, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
But if they are dead already how do you broach this topic without horrifying the relatives or person in charge ?

I don't think I qluite understand your question Bratti?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone has died and haven't given their permission to be used for experiments, then they must be left alone.

If they already had given their permission before death, then that should be honoured.

All I meant was I would like to be able to choose a cause I believed in to donate to.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 05:55 PM

Exactly, Annie.
People kindly donate their bodies 'assuming' they are used for good causes, like cancer research etc , but most people haven't a clue what they are participating in.
It might be a practice they strongly disagree with if they had known.

I read many years ago about goats having udders grafted on to the side of their necks to see if the udder would still produce milk! Why?

Pigs livers are transplanted into humans. Do the animals willingly donate their organs? How would you feel if it were the other way round, and our liver was whipped out and sewn into a pig for an experiment?

I firmly believe many what I would call 'macabre' practices go on in laboratories that the puiblic know nothing about.

I think we should have to be told what research and organs are needed, and then asked to perhaps tick a box to say which research we would like to donate to.
Give people more information and then we can make an informed decision whether we wish to contribute or not.

As it is now, people just contribute knowing absolutely nothing. They just assume it is for a worthy cause.

He said he didn't think the organs were treated with respect.

I suppose organs that are not used end up binned. There are a lot of young people working in junior lab positions and my impression was that they just treated organs etc as something to play with when they were not being used.

I agree with you that people should have some understanding of what will happen with their body parts.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 06:01 PM

I don't think I qluite understand your question Bratti?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone has died and haven't given their permission to be used for experiments, then they must be left alone.

If they already had given their permission before death, then that should be honoured.

All I meant was I would like to be able to choose a cause I believed in to donate to.
No I was strictly speaking about those who HAVE given permission to donate their organs. I thought you were suggesting that the people in charge should question how they are going to be used and I’m not sure that option is available but I could be wrong. I think discussing all this at the time of death probably isn’t a good idea. I think I was confused also. Lol
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 06:18 PM

If any of my family had their bodies donated to medical science I wouldn't want to know what was going to happen to them, too much information and being that I am not a medical person would I understand, and would it be too much of a shock not being used to hearing about details of body dismembering, by people who do it every day....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
In my opinion it doesn’t really matter what anyone else thinks. If those were his wishes then get those papers signed. I think it’s the most generous thing a person can do;Donate their body to medical research so others can benefit from their death.
He would have had to sign the papers himself - they cannot be be retrospectively signed after death - unless, of course, the rules have changed since I did it.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

06-02-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
He would have had to sign the papers himself - they cannot be be retrospectively signed after death - unless, of course, the rules have changed since I did it.
Yes! That’s the same thing here so if there’s nothing to sign then there’s nothing to worry about for the loved ones left behind

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top