Join for free
Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 09:25 AM

Re: Policing in the 1970’s

In 1970, I was introduce to a police sergeant, through other friends at the local police club. A few days later, at about 8.15am, l was travelling to work with my sister when a Panda car passed us on the other side of the road.
Next thing, it was behind us with blue flashing lights going. I stopped and it was the police sergeant asking me out on a date! I was more embarrassed that other drivers thought l had committed a crime!
I went with him to a party at a local pub, l couldn’t believe it when some of the policemen there, were jumping over the bar and helping themselves to bottles of drink!
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
In 1970, I was introduce to a police sergeant, through other friends at the local police club. A few days later, at about 8.15am, l was travelling to work with my sister when a Panda car passed us on the other side of the road.
Next thing, it was behind us with blue flashing lights going. I stopped and it was the police sergeant asking me out on a date! I was more embarrassed that other drivers thought l had committed a crime!
I went with him to a party at a local pub, l couldn’t believe it when some of the policemen there, were jumping over the bar and helping themselves to bottles of drink!
The local police club near me is in a quiet area surrounded by houses, people began to complain about cars revving engines and speeding around the roads late at night, anyway the traffic division got involved and had a purge one night, there was uproar,almost all the people stopped were pissed, and most of them were coppers who'd just come out of the club, I believe there was a major arse kicking party the following morning.
Still drink drivers, but this time a civilian, There was a big pub, very popular, on the other side of town, the trouble was the police had a habit of watching the car park, people were getting nicked, this was in the early 80's when drink driving was seen as just something you did.
Well, this bloke we knew, a bit of a smart arse, to be honest, he decided he'd still go, just not park on the car park.There was one of those little police stations a short distance away, and he decided to park outside it.
He went into the pub with his wife and got hammered, she wanted a taxi home, he said he'd drive, she got the taxi, he went for the car. About an hour after she got home, he hadn't arrived, half an hour later he came in, ranting on about how he was taking the car into the garage tomorrow,"the bloody door lock had jammed, and when I did get in the ignition had jammed too, took me ages wiggling the key to get it to turn" , and with that he stormed off to bed, she followed him.
About 45 minutes later and there's a loud knocking on the door, he goes down and opens it, standing there is a couple of very annoyed looking cops, "are you mr xxxxx?" they asked, he said he was, "right, do you own a Ford Fiesta, reg number, xxxx xxx?" he replied he did, they then asked to see it, he got his keys and unlocked the garage, then he turned on the light, and so began the nightmare!
There parked in the garage was not his own red Fiesta, but a gleaming white one, with a police sign on the roof!
When he parked the car there was no other cars parked there, when he came back there was a police car parked behind him, he was so pissed he'd tried to get in the police car, and managed it, eventually (Ford locks were crap remember).He was arrested and taken down to the local nick, he was charged with drink driving, criminal damage to a police vehicle and theft of a police vehicle, he was very lucky to not get jailed, though he did get a ban and a massive fine.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest, Angel.
I'd be surprised if you weren't constantly surrounded by men hoping for a date!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest, Angel.
I'd be surprised if you weren't constantly surrounded by men hoping for a date!
JBR, Those were the days.......when the world was my oyster. Oh well, every dog has its day!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
There were a time youngsters respected (feared) the Police.
Yes, that is true, I remember when we lived in cul-de-sac on the council estate in the 50's and all us kids were aged about 12 or 13. There was a green in the centre of the cul-de-sac where a dozen or so of us were always playing rounders and one day while playing the game, I hit the ball up instead of away, smashing the lamp post light in the process. We all scattered in all directions to our homes and spent the next two days not daring to go outside and living in fear of the police knocking on our doors to arrest us for criminal damage.

Also, my brothers and their friends in their teens, were always up to mischief when they were out, but when they came up against the local bobby, he wouldn't hesitate to grab them by one of their ears or even give them a clip around the ear. He would then frogmarch the guilty teen back home where he woulld probably recveive another clip round the ear for bringing the police to their door and shaming them.

Long days past.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 01:49 PM

Probably 40 years ago ish my now ex applied for the police force after his interview a few weeks later I was at home when a knock came to the front door. A police officer asked to come in to talk to me . He stayed a good hour and said that if my then husband was successful at joining the force we must come along to his home where his parties were all about blue movie nights etcetc . I was young and gullible and smiled at his chat not really realising the implications of his invitation

My ex didnt join the force . But I've never forgotten this visit from the officer to suss me out .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by artangel ->
jbr, those were the days.......when the world was my oyster. Oh well, every dog has its day!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-04-2020, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Also, my brothers and their friends in their teens, were always up to mischief when they were out, but when they came up against the local bobby, he wouldn't hesitate to grab them by one of their ears or even give them a clip around the ear. He would then frogmarch the guilty teen back home where he woulld probably recveive another clip round the ear for bringing the police to their door and shaming them.

Long days past.
The country would be in a far better state now if some naive do-gooders hadn't had their way and made such things illegal.

I assume, now their stupidity is apparent to everyone, they have slunk off back under their rocks.
Marky34
Surrey
Marky34 is male  Marky34 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Probably 40 years ago ish my now ex applied for the police force after his interview a few weeks later I was at home when a knock came to the front door. A police officer asked to come in to talk to me . He stayed a good hour and said that if my then husband was successful at joining the force we must come along to his home where his parties were all about blue movie nights etcetc . I was young and gullible and smiled at his chat not really realising the implications of his invitation

My ex didnt join the force . But I've never forgotten this visit from the officer to suss me out .
I believe you, of course. But that is astonishing!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the stories Marky. I thoroughly enjoyed reading them.

Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top