Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 12:35 PM

Re: The Kettle Minefield..

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We have a Dualitt Architect kettle. About twenty five years ago we bought a Dualitt toaster and it is still going strong. I'm not so impressed with the kettle though. It requires descaling every couple of weeks and is very noisy. It is also hot to the touch and despite it's size, the maximum level is about half of what you would expect. Looks nice though.
Longy, l also have a Dualit toaster that l have had for years. I think they are the best brand for toasters as nothing much can go wrong with them.
I saw that Costco had a Dualit ‘Lite’ kettle and toaster set for around £84 reduced from £120 in their Black Friday sale. I nearly, nearly considered buying the set until l read, these particular ones were made in China and not the U.K. and they didn’t get very good reviews. Besides that, l have their toaster already but it’s only a two slice one. It would’ve been silly getting the four slice toaster just for the sake of it.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 12:45 PM

With regard to a kettle, why bother? Just run yourself a bath and take a cup of the boiling water that you women seem to enjoy from it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
We usually buy a cheap one from Asda or Tesco. They usually last for a few years.
Scott, Were they plastic or metallic and does the water taste ok?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

05-12-2020, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Plastic.

Artangel is right, buying a kettle is a minefield.
It has to "go" with the prevailing colour scheme in the kitchen and as others have said, it must not taint whatever drink you make with the boiled water.
Plus it must look good, so I am reliably informed.

Even with regular descaling they don't last long in our house - though that might change now that we have two (yes I know) pod type machines.

We've had Dualit (I agree with Longdogs - they look nice but aren't very good, unlike their toasters) and at the opposite end of the price range a Wilko stainless steel which lasted less than two years too, the same as all the others.

A certain person other than myself was tempted by a Bugatti kettle but I swerved that and our current one is a Breville New York, which was still on the pricey side but not the near £200 of the Bugatti.
I must confess that I do like the looks of the Bugatti but reviews aren't very positive.
The Bugatti:
https://www.casabugatti.com/design-a...1?id=14-SVERAN

The Breville might cost a lot for a kettle but it works, it looks good, and it fulfils the exacting brief of SWMBO.
Zaphod, lt is a minefield because there is just too much choice!!
I thought you were joking about the Bugatti kettle! l had never heard of them, only seen their magnificent Bugatti cars at Car shows/exhibitions!
Where would they be on sale? Somewhere like Harrods?
I did see Breville kettles on my ‘kettle journey’ in the stores but didn’t take a lot of notice of them as they hadn’t really come up in my online search.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

05-12-2020, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
FWIW............

Dualit Architect Kettle
My Dear Wife got it as a leaving present probably about ten years ago. I think it was a bit expensive but it has lasted.
Besoeker, That was nice useful present to get, a bit different to a gold watch!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

05-12-2020, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Bought one of these from dunelm for £25 about a month ago. Seems pretty solid and works fine so far. The only downside is trying to fill it with a filter water jug. Great if you use a tap. Also the lid is tricky to remove. I'm pretty fed up with kettle shopping so hope this one lasts. These ones seem very popular and just looking now they are all sold out other than in red.

Electric kettles all seem to be pretty rubbish if you have heavy use. I've been wondering whether it's more cost effective to use a hob top old fashioned whistling model.

Annie, That’s a nice looking kettle. Is it heavy when full of water though?

The glass one l bought is heavy when l fill it. I think l will end up with muscles like Popeye’s mate, Pluto!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 01:11 PM

The Russell-Hobbs kettle had to be red (Mrs mart likes red). It is quite old now. The light in the switch doesn't always work but it still boils water. It leaked a little while ago but I took it apart and cleaned a seal where the steam comes down a tube to turn the switch off when the water boils.

I could have mended the light at the same time. I could see a bad connection inside some clear sleeving but decided I wasn't that bothered about the light.

We live in a hard water area so it has a thin layer of limescale in places. I think the water loses any taste the kettle surface might give it once it has a coating of limescale.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Zaphod, lt is a minefield because there is just too much choice!!
I thought you were joking about the Bugatti kettle! l had never heard of them, only seen their magnificent Bugatti cars at Car shows/exhibitions!
Where would they be on sale? Somewhere like Harrods?
I did see Breville kettles on my ‘kettle journey’ in the stores but didn’t take a lot of notice of them as they hadn’t really come up in my online search.
Oh a Bugatti kettle is no joke, I assure you - it took quite a discussion before I finally convinced my better half that looks are not everything.
They ARE beautiful but flawed, & the basic one is better though it is underpwered which means it takes a while to boil.
You can buy them in lots of places, including Am a zone.

I have to say that our Breville is - so far - doing well considering it's over a year old because, as I said before, two years seems to be the max here even if you really look after them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 01:21 PM

Hi

I have a cheap glass kettle wich lights up blue and i find it fine for my needs.

I rarely use it, not being a tea drinker.

I have a coffee machine which I use constantly.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Scott, Were they plastic or metallic and does the water taste ok?
Brushed stainless steel Artangel. We bought the two slice toaster as well. I think it was they were about £40 for the set, maybe slightly more. Never noticed any unpleasant taste or scaling.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top