Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 11:23 PM

Anyone with skin conditions and how do you control the itching????

I developed a patch on my right ankle that's rash-like. Very intense itching. Went to docs and they said it was dermatitis. Well now it has spread to my fingers on both hands from itching what's on my leg and it's driving me crazy. I've done as my doctor has instructed - I've been using anti-itch creams, topical antibiotics (to prevent infection) and taking antihistamines. But the itch, especially on my fingers, is getting worse and driving me mad.

Does anyone else have dermatitis or eczema, etc, and what do you do to control the itch?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 11:37 PM

Re: Anyone with skin conditions and how do you control the itching????

Hi Linda I use Sudocrem can you buy it there...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudocrem
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 12:04 AM

Me too Linda. Ask to be referred to a Dermatologist if it gets worse
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 01:51 AM

Thanks, Meg and Goldie

Today has been particularly bad. Almost like an outbreak of sorts on my hands, including tiny little blisters. Looked it up and it's apparently called dyshidrotic eczema.

It's awful. I'm breaking out into all these little blisters all over my fingers and even on my palms. According to the websites I've checked out, there's really not much you can do about it, other than using anti-itch creams, antihistamines and taking antibiotics if there's an infection. The skin on my hands feels tight, swollen, bumpy (from the blisters) and itchy as all get out. The itch creams are helping a little, but I'm still fighting with myself not to scratch the heck out of my hands and make it worse. I'm desperately trying not to bust open the blisters.

Causes are unknown. It says breakouts can be especially bad in springtime when allergy season is at its worst and it can also be caused by stress. And yesterday I took way less of my anti-anxiety medication than I usually do. Coincidentally today my hands are breaking out with this... whatever it is. The only time my hands feel complete relief is when I dunk them in super cold water. Oh, that feels so good. It's like my hands are on fire and I wish I could leave them in the cold water for the rest of the night
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 05:39 AM

Linda, I feel so sorry for you, itch is much worse than pain because your instinct is to scratch... even though you know you shouldn't. This time last year I developed a severe itch round my ankles and it took a few weeks of anti histamines to get rid of it. There was no soreness or swelling and we never found out what it was... but it did eventually disappear. All you can do is keep following instructions and maybe keep a daily diary of how bad it feels on a score of 1 to 10. It also helps to keep a record of anything new that you eat or use ( like detergents or moisturisers)... just in case it is aggravated by anything you are using.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 08:35 AM

Linda also look for an allergic cause. Have you used something different and try eliminate if you can.

I have every sympathy. I have it too caused by our desalinated water.

Your GP will try different medication. If you have a bit of sunshine try to expose your skin. I tended to find creams exacerbated it.

Sudocrem does seem to work but apply as soon as you get an itch
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 08:44 AM

That's horrid Linda we have eczema in the family and I sometimes get dermatitis.
I guess you have already tried to eliminate harsh chemical that might contribute to the irritation like biological washing powders and soap by substituting them for mild ones and wear no jewelry, nickel is a particularly bad irritant .

Do you wear cotton gloves at night (chemists sell them here) if you put on a cream like the one I mentioned then the gloves it soothes your hands overnight and helps prevent scratching.

Diet too is important with lots of veg/fruit to help the skin to heal

If you look at the link I posted it list the ingredients so you should be able to find a similar cream.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 08:50 AM

Aw I do feel sorry for you Linda.
I wonder if a hydrocortisone cream might help?
You can buy a HC45 over the counter. Anything stronger of course a doctor would have to prescribe.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 08:57 AM

Anti histamine tablets I believe three a day are safe but check with your pharmacist, antihistamine cream as has been suggested, and coconut oil to moisturise. Also eliminate the cause if you can find it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 09:19 AM

I get itchy shins and back especially during cold weather. It is due to dry skin, I just rub in Sorbolene Cream after my shower, its cheap as chips from the supermarket - 500ml for a couple of bucks. If I am travelling I use lanolin cream, as cheap but in a smaller container.

Completely solves the problem almost immediately, if I remember every day it never recurs.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top