Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 09:54 AM

The Voice

Anyone remember the good old days when, the stage door opened, and some totally unintroduced person wandered onto the stage, sang, and if not selected, wandered off again.
Now, you get the back story, before they sing, and, you can tell by the in depthness of the story if they will be selected or not, because of this, the potential number of contestants has been cut, by at least 50%.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 09:59 AM

Re: The Voice

It is all very 'staged' these days .

I thought it used to be a competition to find undiscovered/amateur singers, there was a young woman singer on last night who was very good and she stated she is already singing in a West End show.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 11:04 AM

It's television karaoke. Cheap entertainment for kids and people who are casual music listeners. Nobody who is a purist or connoisseur of 'real' music watches this crap. True, some of them can sing but nothing is original because they do not write their own songs; it's yet another tedious performance of 'I Will Always Love You' or 'Angels'.
YouTube makes more stars of people these days than TV can.
Simon Cowell sealed popular music's demise, taking over from the banal worthless tripe of Stock Aitken Waterman a few years earlier.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:35 PM

I like watching The Voice, staged or not. I was pleased when they turned for the late Lonny Donegan's Son. I saw Lonny several times in concert, years ago. Well done Peter & Tom his mentor, well he had to be didn't he.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Anyone remember the good old days when, the stage door opened, and some totally unintroduced person wandered onto the stage, sang, and if not selected, wandered off again.
Now, you get the back story, before they sing, and, you can tell by the in depthness of the story if they will be selected or not, because of this, the potential number of contestants has been cut, by at least 50%.
There is nothing random about these shows Spitfire.

The producers run these shows and decide who will and who won't get through. As with X-Factor and BGT, these shows are not about finding the best singers or acts. They are simply about selecting a broad selection of singers/acts that will create an entertaining show. That's why the likes of Chico got where he did on X-Factor and why 100s of other pretty awful singers and entertainers get through.

It's a naïve mistake to believe that the judges on all these programs don't know what is happening. They are NOT the real selectors, they just do what they are told.

On The Voice it is patently obvious that before a singer walks onto the stage, all 4 judges know who is coming and have been forewarned and told whether to select or dump.

This becomes most obvious when the act in question has a terrible moment and on the day just comes over as hopeless. The judges who have been told to turn around then have to flounder around looking for excuses why they selected such a poor singer.

All of these programmes follow the exact same format. They present what looks to be a random selection process and genuine set of auditions but imo they are nothing like that. Everything is pre-determined. To even get to the stage the singers have to have previously performed to a different set of unseen judges and been selected to come on the programme. All totally staged. Sorry.

All that taken on board, the end result is a programme of entertainment which you either like or don't. No problem at all with people being entertained in that manner but they should realise none of it is genuine.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 04:09 PM

I agree entirely Realist, but, when are the producers going to take into account, its not just the show that moves on but the audience also. Most folks have had it to the back teeth with over-produced claptrap?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I agree entirely Realist, but, when are the producers going to take into account, its not just the show that moves on but the audience also. Most folks have had it to the back teeth with over-produced claptrap?
Sadly, most of the people who watch TV on a Saturday night have a short attention span and enjoy this banal rubbish.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Sadly, most of the people who watch TV on a Saturday night have a short attention span and enjoy this banal rubbish.
That's not a very nice thing to say Floydy!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I strongly object to that remark. I do not have a short attention span & to me it isn't rubbish. If you don't like it don't watch it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 05:31 PM

Yeah each to their own. It's just a form of entertainment. Live and let live.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top