Join for free
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 09:01 AM

Re: Runner Beans

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I grew them last year but from plants so thought I would try seeds this time. Is there anything I need to know like removing certain side shoots or anything? I have planted two per pole and will remove the weakest one.
No DL but I do give some beans a gentle guiding hand to assist their tendrils up the poles when they stray
The tendrils on some of my beans are half way up the poles .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I grew them last year but from plants so thought I would try seeds this time. Is there anything I need to know like removing certain side shoots or anything? I have planted two per pole and will remove the weakest one.
Like Meg, my beans are halfway up the cane now. Personally I start my seeds in 3" pots in late April, and then when I plant them out in mid May I plant another seed against each cane which extends the cropping season by four to six weeks.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 09:38 AM

good idea barry - those beans love company!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
And the runner beans?

I've a good mind to come over there and smack your bottom but I just know you would enjoy it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Naughty girl.

Dongles, what variety are you growing?
I am trying "Firestorm" this year.
The flowers are supposed to set well regardless of weather, but that remains to be seen.
They are called Summer Medley. Never tried them before. I had some beans last year but they were dwarf French.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Like Meg, my beans are halfway up the cane now. Personally I start my seeds in 3" pots in late April, and then when I plant them out in mid May I plant another seed against each cane which extends the cropping season by four to six weeks.

I do the same as you Barry, and start them off in pots.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

01-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I remember learning how to market garden down in hampshire years ago and purchased some sturdy canes as instructed by my FIL and then just bought some beans stuck them in a hole and they just never stopped growing and fruiting - we collected everyday - that was truly amazing!
That's what I'm hoping. i will be planting some more this weekend so that they are spread a bit longer.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

01-06-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
No DL but I do give some beans a gentle guiding hand to assist their tendrils up the poles when they stray
The tendrils on some of my beans are half way up the poles .
Originally Posted by Barry ->
Thanks. A couple of good tips there. Maybe I will try the pot/seed method next year (if I remember that far).
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
They do grow fast LD mine are about 14'' and climbing the poles.
So are mine Meg
They are not so much climbing as hanging on for dear life in the face of the storms we have had down here .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I do the same as you Barry, and start them off in pots.
Me too and I grow a second batch in case a late frost catches the first lot when I put them out. These I give away if I don't need themoutside ...

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
So are mine Meg
They are not so much climbing as hanging on for dear life in the face of the storms we have had down here .
Mine too Muddy, last night was a real test of their hang on power ....

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top