Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 10:25 PM

Solar Energy

For the garden,I have been very disappointed with solver energy lights,etc,they never seem to work for very long.

Do you have any in your garden?

Are they any good?

Any recommendations?

Thank you.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 10:36 PM

Re: Solar Energy

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
For the garden,I have been very disappointed with solver energy lights,etc,they never seem to work for very long.

Are they any good?

Any recommendations?

Thank you.
Had similar issues. Think the battery life is the issue.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->

I bought one of those topiary balls,with lights,they only come on for a little while,..and then I have to fiddle around with the switch.

Such a waste of money.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 10:57 PM

Are they any good?

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Depends by what you mean by 'Not lasting very long,' Pauline?

I only buy the cheapish ones with the plastic ground spikes, and mostly they will last all summer season.
I have actually got one at the mo, which is still going from last summer, but it must be on it's last legs I should think.

Are yours in a position where they get plenty of sun all day, or are they half hidden in the flowerbed somewhere?

How long did you think they might last?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Cannot the batteries be replaced?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Cannot the batteries be replaced?
Some are just normal rechargable cells that can be replaced but I think that is part of the problem. The ones that seem to last usually have the battery soldered in - Bought some cheap ones and soldered the cells in (no cells exploded) which did seem to make them last longer - corrosion at the terminals I suspect is an issue.

I was told that in the UK the resistor in series with the LED is a higher value than here because of the less sunlight (don't know if it is true but it makes sense) The smaller current draw helps prolong battery life but also reduces brightness.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

10-06-2019, 06:31 AM

I have decided,not to buy anymore,I only bought the topiary ball,a few weeks back.

I will buy electric ones,which I already have,..I just wanted something to hang down fron the trees,..thanks everyone.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 09:10 AM

Pauline - have you considered battery operated ones? Some friends have them in their hedges and they look really pretty. You would have to remember to switch them on /off though.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

10-06-2019, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Pauline - have you considered battery operated ones? Some friends have them in their hedges and they look really pretty. You would have to remember to switch them on /off though.
Where would I get those ST?

That sounds a great idea,
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

10-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Where would I get those ST?

That sounds a great idea,
I think they bought them in Home bargains - do you have a branch near you?

Will check with them for you anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top