Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 12:42 PM

Re: Bubble & Squeak Cottage/Shepherds Pie

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
That recipe sounds delicious. Let us know what it was like.

Laughing at Julie (no veg left)!

I might try something like that one day.
Jazzi, It tasted really YUM! HWMO made me laugh. he was sitting there at the table with his knife and fork poised, chanting feed me! and the dish still had 10 more minutes of cooking. (the aroma did it.) He wasn't disappointed thankfully, and really enjoyed the B&S topping. However, with me, I could only manage 1 helping of it as it was so filling. Definitely going to do it again though.

One portion now in the fridge for HWMO Monday evening.

At least now I have a foolproof dish with all that left over veggie from now on.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Personally i do not agree with all this experimentation of traditional dishes. Leave them be.
Crikey Dodge, a dish such as Shepherd's/Cottage pie is experimented with all the time. No two people ever do the same dish, everyone has their own way of doing it, especially with the ingredients.

Normally, my topping is usually potato and swede or potato and carrot Mash, I've even been known to put a layer of chopped steamed cabbage over the mince before putting the mash on top. There are dozens and dozens of ways of doing the dish. If I am doing it just before shopping and only have potatoes left, then it is usually potato mash with grated cheddar cheese and slices of beef tomatoes on the top. No matter which, it always taste yum!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

22-09-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Traditional dishes only became that because people tweaked national dishes in many cases. Shroppie might be onto the next tradition !
Thanks Julie, you are right, I'm always 'tweaking' dishes, sometimes unsuccessfully! and I think I should have left well alone, but other times pleased that I tried it, as with this one. x

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top