Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 01:18 AM

Re: new apple tree position?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Putting your apple trees next to a fence is giving your neighbour half of the fruit.

He might even give you some doodah for allowing fallen apples to pollute his lovely lawn.

That's the first thing I thought too, Ted.
Personally Bazza, I would prefer a fruit tree where I could all the way round it, but that's just me.

The second thing was, won't you will struggle to repaint the fence as the trees grow?

One of my neighbours has trees next to the dividing fence and its a darn nuisance because the roots are all over my flower beds!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's the first thing I thought too, Ted.
Personally Bazza, I would prefer a fruit tree where I could all the way round it, but that's just me.

The second thing was, won't you will struggle to repaint the fence as the trees grow?

One of my neighbours has trees next to the dividing fence and its a darn nuisance because the roots are all over my flower beds!
Mups

The ones we ordered are only 5ft tall and just as wide. so there will be plenty of room, not like the bushes we removed, you couldn't get behind them

Didn't come across any roots other than the bush ones and they were cut right back.

before we undertook this project all things were carefully thought through first. Such as will they fit with bushes no out and gone- will there be enough sun for them- will they be in a wind position-will they get too close to the fence- will we be able to get the right size- is it the right type of soil or have to add to it (ordered root growth fertilizer) -will they need support ( oreded support stakes . even looked up about cross pollination and distance apart

Didn't want huge great trees they would not fit, also considered plum tree as well but a certain little madam(Teazle) might try eating a fallen one and get the stone stuck in her throat. So that idea was rejected
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So is there something you will do after you plant them to encourage the fruit? I seem to recall my dad putting a cutting from another tree onto a plum tree and the cutting would eventually become a branch?
With citrus trees the best thing to encourage them to fruit is to get any male in the house to relieve himself on the surrounding ground occasionally.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Mups

The ones we ordered are only 5ft tall and just as wide. so there will be plenty of room, not like the bushes we removed, you couldn't get behind them

Didn't come across any roots other than the bush ones and they were cut right back.

before we undertook this project all things were carefully thought through first. Such as will they fit with bushes no out and gone- will there be enough sun for them- will they be in a wind position-will they get too close to the fence- will we be able to get the right size- is it the right type of soil or have to add to it (ordered root growth fertilizer) -will they need support ( oreded support stakes . even looked up about cross pollination and distance apart

Didn't want huge great trees they would not fit, also considered plum tree as well but a certain little madam(Teazle) might try eating a fallen one and get the stone stuck in her throat. So that idea was rejected

Best keep her away from fallen apples too, Bazza, as not only do they usually have wasps in them, apple (and Cherry) pips contain Cyanide!

This is a useful for a quick check about fruit and dogs:

https://www.battersea.org.uk/can-dog...are-toxic-dogs
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 04:41 PM

Just unpacked in here. Too windy outside to leave as is incase they fall over. Massive great stakes to give them support as well, not those that came with the tree as in photo
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
With citrus trees the best thing to encourage them to fruit is to get any male in the house to relieve himself on the surrounding ground occasionally.
Or mulch the area with old cruise brochures.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
☺ the lemon tree pot is located conveniently on the window sill right next to the loo!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
☺ the lemon tree pot is located conveniently on the window sill right next to the loo!
I bet that takes a bit of practice.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

13-12-2019, 03:24 PM

here you are little apple trees your new home

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 12:56 AM

They look terribly close to the fence.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top