Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 05:37 PM

Phase one garden arch replacement

This we are replacing as it is old rotten and about to fall down.

So this afternoon the new arch came ( all in sections) and strapped together so this is how it has gone so far.

Remove the strap ties that were hilti in hard with a gun and seperate the seperate parts. Next was to get the actual trellis middle bit onto the workbench (already cleared) with the upright supports.

Onto the diagrams to study and measure lengths so many times, not to double check but multi check, and mark with a pencil

You can just see above the knot in the wood a pencil line. all 4 support marked the same on each side

Then screwing the trellis fretwork to the supports from the inside so no screws showed,and what a sod that was. Used 2 diffferent size drills one into the trellis recess and a smaller one into the upright so it is easier to srew together.

Again marking everything by temp put the screws in to mark the upright with holes first then seperating and drill the uprights.

at last both sides now ready, just got to wait for some angle iron to use as supports on each of the 4 uprights

then onto phase 2 in a few days time

that will involve taking down the old arch and supporting the rose bushes and assembling the arch in position more or less. Driving into the ground the angle iron I will have pre drilled for fixing . Then screw down remaining sections together and re tying back the rose bushes

should end up something like this

and is it heavy or what

Estimated Weight (kg)
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 10:19 AM

Re: Phase one garden arch replacement

day 2

decided to get a huge climbing rose out of the trellis work so cut out some of the fretwork

then knock out the top bar or should I really say stop it falling out the screws were rusted through so holding nothing.

next to remove a cross arch bar or better say stop in falling off

the slot completely gone on most of them. but replace as best could until full dismantal
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

19-05-2020, 04:28 PM

This is what happens if a wooden post (as in above) gets put into the ground.

rotted completely
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-05-2020, 06:29 PM

Project came to a full stop,the courier company delivering some angle iron lost the first consignment. So I contacted the sellers and they are sending replacements after they checked with the delivery company.

What happens? they magically found the first consignment and now I have on the way 2 parcels instead of one. Due now on the 26 May ,14 days after placing the original order.

So I have emailed the supplier asking what they want to do about the second package. Total cost is under £16 including £9 pp for one consignment

If they say keep it ok but if they want it back they they will have to pay as it is their courier that messed it all up.

The Angle iron has been cut to my requested length x4 so not much good to anyone else

If I can't keep it as it could be deemed as theiving although insolicited goods you don't have to return, so just got to wait now
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
This is what happens if a wooden post (as in above) gets put into the ground.

rotted completely
Wrap it in a swing bin bag,then put in the ground.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-05-2020, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Wrap it in a swing bin bag,then put in the ground.
Can't I am not into swinging
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Can't I am not into swinging
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

24-05-2020, 01:13 PM

Phase Two

todays update

Moved the old arch to one side and used existing support that was on the other side. That left the part on the garden side clear for the wooden studs to go in that will support the arch as well as the ironwork when it comes

getting them into position had the added problem that it has to go close to the rose bush stem so the arch fits between that and the rose bush the other side. If my measurements are correct we have about 1 inch clearance to fit. Damp proof membrane to go betwen arch and studs

yes this close and level a fraction out but not enough to worry about.
Arch out of the way for the time being before removal completely. How it didn't collapse with the move beats me

side to side check

any fine adjustments can be done with a sledge hammer

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

24-05-2020, 09:19 PM

had another go this afternoon tro put the rmaining stumps in.everything going great levels sorted and distace apart UNTIL

doing hole number 4 hit this

Damn great metapost set in concrete. Who on earth puts something like this in the ground to hold up a wooden arch? Now got the devils own job to get it out.
Still got another day before the angle iron comes ,should have that out by then.

What I think I will do is put a metal bar through it and rope it to that long bit of timber. Thinking of the canterlever principle using a couple of bricks as a pivot point.
Oh well have to see how it goes tomorrow
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2020, 07:45 AM

RS, if you find some Rebar in the concrete, it might have been my work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top