Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 07:05 AM

Slugs

Why is there so many slugs ?
They gobble up everything .
I can’t use slug pellets in the garden as I have a dog .
Have tried wood ash it’s not really that successful .
Any more solutions ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 09:07 AM

Re: Slugs

Hi Muddy I used to have lots of slugs until I started going around the lawn at night with a torch and collecting them in a bucket (warm nights are the best time).
I have progressed over the years from half a bucket of slugs to about 6.

When planting out tender plants I put a ring of very fine gravel around the bottom of each one .
My grandaughter aged 10 who is in the gardening club at school suggests putting crushed eggshells around plants.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 09:19 AM

Oh yuk I will will give it a try .
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 10:39 AM

We collect our tribes of slugs on warm damp nights place them in a sandwich bag tie a good knot and plonk them in the dustbin the kind dustbin men do the rest, or fill an old Chinese takeaway container with very cheap beer bury slightly in the garden, slugs are real P***heads they drink the beer get drunk fall in and drown the binmen do the rest
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by basser ->
We collect our tribes of slugs on warm damp nights place them in a sandwich bag tie a good knot and plonk them in the dustbin the kind dustbin men do the rest, or fill an old Chinese takeaway container with very cheap beer bury slightly in the garden, slugs are real P***heads they drink the beer get drunk fall in and drown the binmen do the rest
Very good advice basser! You can also try sprinkling some
diatomaceous earth around your seedlings as well, you can buy
it from swimming pool shops as it is used in some filter systems.

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2020, 12:06 PM

I just picked up about 20 snails under a block I put them in a bucket to move . When I went back to the bucket about 20 minutes later they had all got out and were legging it up the path .
Didn’t know snails could move so fast . Recaptured and released elsewhere .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Why is there so many slugs ?
They gobble up everything .
I can’t use slug pellets in the garden as I have a dog .
Have tried wood ash it’s not really that successful .
Any more solutions ?

Muddy, I won't use slug pellets for the same reason as you.
This year I am experimenting with these, and so far so good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitax-3-5L-.../dp/B00AFSKZBQ

If you have a read, it explains why the slugs don't like it.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I just picked up about 20 snails under a block I put them in a bucket to move . When I went back to the bucket about 20 minutes later they had all got out and were legging it up the path .
Didn’t know snails could move so fast . Recaptured and released elsewhere .
That reminds me of the old joke about finding a snail in the garden and throwing it over 2 fences into the garden of the neighbour next but one. Three days later, a knock at the door and this snail says, "What did you do that for?"
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2020, 03:57 PM

I sometimes throw slugs into my neighbours garden because he deserves it . Unfortunately he only has lawn and I suspect they scoot back ASAP.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 06:03 PM

I've given up trying to control slugs and snails. Instead I have changed the geography and composition of my planting.

So in the raised beds there are just spuds. Slugs and snails don't seem to like them. The runner beans, peas, pumpkins and cucumbers are well away from slug loving raised beds. The runner beans are in the front garden this year. Surrounded by paths and paving they won't get many snails The peas are on raised brick platforms on the path at the side of the house.

The patio pots are filled with various geraniums and perlargoniums which are much hated by slugs. They can no longer devour petunias and lupins which are missing this year due to lockdown.

I was devastated when the nasty slimy monsters devoured most of the veg patch last year despite nets and gravel and all sorts. Beer has been a waste of good beer. It seems to be a slug magnet. They hear a rave is going on and come from miles away. Eggshells are a total waste. A friend said that there is some special gravel that works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top