Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 05:48 PM

how to sharpen metal drill bits

How many times has one had to buy a new drill bit because it has gone blunt?

Try sharpening by hand and impossible to get the right angle of cut or the point centred

Well I bought many years ago a drill doctor and saved hundreds of pounds.

In the video I just made it shows how easy it is to resharpen them using a Drill Doctor machine

First of all you see me putting the drill and holder in the machine. Here I am not only setting the depth but also the angle of cut.twisting the drill until it locks and the mechanism holds it in place, you see it spring to lock

the next action is to go to the second opening turn on the machine and turn the drill grip. If you listen to the sound you will here the sharpening sound go quite and this is when the drill bit is sharp

Easy isn't it?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 09:42 PM

Re: how to sharpen metal drill bits

It took me seven years as an apprentice engineer to learn to sharpen twist drills freehand, and I've never forgotten. Very handy.....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 10:56 PM

this machine will also do split in drills (no 4 pointings to the back) ,but never tried as had no need, and different angle depending on what your drilling into

below showing different setting available and check points below the 3 and the 135 setting

must give it a bit of a clean me thinks
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 05:34 AM

I sharpen my own bits by hand on my bench grinder with moderate success. I vaguely remember that the correct angle is something like 59° but I have made a mark on the grinder tool rest to give me a rough start.

Very handy when you break a drill too.

Works for me.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-05-2020, 02:13 PM

Bruce
the angle for metal is 118 degrees and 135 for anything else as shown in the picture and confirmed in the instruction book
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Bruce
the angle for metal is 118 degrees and 135 for anything else as shown in the picture and confirmed in the instruction book
59 degrees is the acute angle realspeed, 118 degrees is the obtuse angle......59 x 2 = 118
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-05-2020, 08:41 PM

Well now we got an angle on it
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-05-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Well now we got an angle on it
And you know the drill realspeed. stay sharp mate....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top