Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 07:50 AM

Patchy lawn.

I thought of reseeding the parts of my lawn that are bare & patchy. This year it's the worst it has been.

Can somebody tell me how to do it successfully please? I've been looking on Amazon at grass seeds but there's an amazing variety & some don't get very good reviews..

I thought I'd turn to the helpful people on here.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 09:11 AM

Re: Patchy lawn.

I'm guessing its patchy because of the hot dry weather earlier,if so drought tolerant seed is wanted,you'd be not alone in this but leather jackets's,larvae of the cranefly can also do it.

https://www.rolawn.co.uk/leatherjack...0of%20hatching.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 10:24 AM

My lawn looked pretty dead a few weeks ago. So I sprinkled some weed and feed pellets on it and within a week it had pretty much recovered.

As for re-seeding, think the idea is to scratch the soil a bit with something like a lawn rake, and sprinkle seeds onto it. As caricature says, as you're doing this in summer, a drought resistant variety makes sense. As for make, guess that this might be down to a bit of pot luck. In the past, I let some areas of grass go to seed and used the seeds to varying success (the idea being that theoretically, it should be a perfect match for what's already there).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 02:26 PM

I am always patching bits of my lawn because the dogs wee kills it unless I pour water on it immediately to dilute it.

Sometimes the grass goes brown through drought, but as the roots are deeper down, it often spring back to life after a good torrential downpour which soaks right down to the roots.

I am not saying this is the expert way, but this is what I do:
I choose a hard wearing grass, then as Dex said, loosen the top soil first (I use a tiny hand rake), then sprinkle the seed in one direction, then repeat across in the opposite direction. E.g. North to South, then repeat East to West. I also overlap into the surrounding grass a little to blend it in.
I then gently firm it in with the back of a spade, or you can walk on it even, followed by a light covering of fine sieved compost.
Water daily if weather is dry.

One last thing, cover the seeded areas with wire, or netting, else mice and birds will take the lot!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
One last thing, cover the seeded areas with wire, or netting, else mice and birds will take the lot!
Or a bit of clingfilm, which will create a lovely little coldframe/greenhouse effect to help get things going. Just for a couple of weeks at most though!
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 07:47 PM

Any general purpose lawn seed will be sufficient. Here's what I would do. Lightly rake the bare soil until you have a fine tilth with no weeds debri, or stones. Sprinkle some seeds and water using a mist spray. Using a watering can will simply wash the seeds away. Grass seeds need light, heat and moisture to germinate so keep the area damp at all times. Don't forget to keep the birds off as already suggested.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top