Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2017, 07:53 PM

Food Waste

The government says we are wasting too much food,and thinking of scrapping best before dates, but a lot of trouble are the supermarkets,it is very difficult to get just one of something, or a small portion,then we have the BOGOF offers I have a small appetite ,we dont have any individual shops to buy small amounts,so am stuck with supermarkets,often I avoid buying something because its too much for me, or works out more expensive, for instance I like 'Little Gem Lettuces, but you can only buy 2or 4 in a pack, too much for me alone
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2017, 08:08 PM

Re: Food Waste

Deylon, I know just what you mean. It often annoys me when I am expected to buy 2, 4 or even 6 of something when I only want one.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2017, 09:56 PM

Each week I write my shopping list and a day menu so that I know what we are gping to eat each day. I measure portions and make sure that meals are produced with little or no waste. It takes planning but its worth it. Greed is a big factor in over buying and waste many of the special offers are false economy and play on our greed.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2017, 10:21 PM

they don't need to scrap best before. They can just say, "you can still eat it after but it might not taste so good". I thought the main news story was that they were going to stop supermarkets selling perfect fruit and veg. So we may get some rude carrots on our shelves :

https://www.buzzfeed.com/foleykeiran...M6R#.cjKmOxG6O
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2017, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So we may get some rude carrots on our shelves :
Oh no - does that mean Esther Ranzson will be back??
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2017, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
The government says we are wasting too much food,and thinking of scrapping best before dates, but a lot of trouble are the supermarkets,it is very difficult to get just one of something, or a small portion,then we have the BOGOF offers I have a small appetite ,we dont have any individual shops to buy small amounts,so am stuck with supermarkets,often I avoid buying something because its too much for me, or works out more expensive, for instance I like 'Little Gem Lettuces, but you can only buy 2or 4 in a pack, too much for me alone

deylon

Little Gem lettuces are lovely qiuckly braised in butter.
Also if you can't buy small portions of food you can cook the surplus and freeze small portions, so none is wasted
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2017, 06:22 AM

Hi

Best before dates are a manufacturers and retailers invention, they have nothing at all to do with food safety.

Use by dates are very different things, they are there for a reason, or should be, which is to protect the consumer.

Unfortunately, even some of these are too short, they are not uniform in application, they vary as well.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2017, 07:33 AM

I know nothing about 'best before' or 'use by' labelling. Food in my place, unless stored in my freezer (which keeps food for up to 3 months anyway) doesn't last that long here.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Best before dates are a manufacturers and retailers invention, they have nothing at all to do with food safety.

Use by dates are very different things, they are there for a reason, or should be, which is to protect the consumer.

Unfortunately, even some of these are too short, they are not uniform in application, they vary as well.

How long do you reckon frozen food is safe for when it has gone past the date - assuming it has been frozen crrectly all the time and not been allowed to thaw out?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2017, 09:00 AM

Like Cass we waste virtually nothing. We do a menu for the week and shop accordingly, with any surplus being frozen to have another day.

Regarding the sell and use by dates these are just inventions to make us waste more and therefore buy more, we never needed them before and we survived quite happily using sight, smell and common sense.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top